POSSIBLE NIACIN DEFICIENCY?! HELP

I'm here to update in case anyone from the future ever comes here looking for info. It was about a month of giving Clove niacin before his leg stopped shaking, maybe even a bit more. Ducklings had always had lots of yeast, and he only shook for a few days before I started supplementing. Various places on the internet said it should get better much faster, so I'm hoping that if someone else is in this situation they read this and have hope if it's starting to feel hopeless. That was a long sad haul full of worry. But he's now molting his teenage feathers and seems entirely healthy and happy. And is definitely a drake.

Thank you for taking the time to update! I have just also read here on BYC that a few crushed Tums seemed to help with same prob, when the niacin solutions didn't seem to help, looking at a possible Calcium deficiency. I have read a ton of posts about shaky legs, seen the good advice given and then very few updates on what worked and how long it took! Thank you! :)

Thank you for taking the time to update! I have just also read here on BYC that a few crushed Tums seemed to help with same prob, when the niacin solutions didn't seem to help, looking at a possible Calcium deficiency. I have read a ton of posts about shaky legs, seen the good advice given and then very few updates on what worked and how long it took! Thank you! :)

Tell us what's going on with your duck.

Tell us what's going on with your duck.
I have four ducklings that are 3 weeks old- a blue and a black swedish, a duclair and a golden 300, all female. I have been feeding Purina Premium Flock raiser crumbles (55ppm) since the start and Monday night noticed the Golden 300's legs were shaking intermittently. She is larger than the other three and has feathering ahead of the others. I immediately have thought niacin deficiency as she may require a little more due to her larger size and growth and started to supplement Nutritional yeast on their feed. Wednesday I picked up the liquid complex and have been giving her 1ml Wednesday, Thursday and today. They did move to their outside pen this week so I also wondered if having grasses to nibble on decreased the amount of feed they were eating. I feed peas and kale, about 1/4 cup each duck as a treat. I am now adding the nutritional yeast to all their feed. She has not gotten worse, and it may appear it is slightly better but nothing significant at this point. She does not fall, walks straight and it is intermittent shaking, only in her legs, so I am hoping I caught it in time. I did think tomorrow I may crush one Tum and put it in her feed as well. I am impatient to see results so it is nice to see it may take some time! You, Miss Lydia, Donna and many others have been so helpful with your good advice on BYC, thank you all!

Last edited:
Hey, you caught it early, hats off to you!

Unless you're dealing with really young birds, improvement is going to be a little bit, but with her age, a week sounds fair since you caught it early.

Back
Top Bottom