Possible paralyzation after dog attack??

xmas1210

Chirping
5 Years
Jul 3, 2016
It has been 36 hours since our dog was a bit too rough with one of our hens (scooped her up in her mouth and ran with her). There is no visible sign of harm, but since the attack our hen has not moved (all but a quiver in the legs). I have fed and watered her separate from the flock and they are not picking on her. When I pick her up, she shivers but I assume from fear?? One leg seems strong in the sense that she is weight bearing with my help but not on her own. Last night she started showing a slight green hue to parts of her feet, could this be bruising? Has anyone ever had a hen survive or have quality of life after possibly being paralyzed? I don’t want her to be in pain and don’t want to rush putting the poor thing out of her misery. Please advise, thank you for you help!
-A New Chicken Mom

Have you treated for shock?
1. Treat for shock as the number one
step. Give warm Gatoraid or mix a half
teaspoon of sugar into a fourth of a cup
of warm water with a pinch of salt and
baking soda. Have the patient drink it all
or syringe it into the beak.

As far as I am aware, the green could be bruising, could you keep her in a warm quiet place to give her chance to recover from her ordeal? Check thoroughly for injuries, they can be hard to find under all of those feathers. You could also put her in a sling, and monitor the situation.
@azygous @Wyorp Rock @LaFleche @dawg53 maybe one of our more knowledgeable members can help.
You say you have been feeding her separately, is she eating and drinking?

Sometimes, it is simply the pressure of a dog bite that can lead to tissue swellings resulting in temporary paralysis, as the nerves get squished and blood supply to certain areas might not be sufficient for some time.

It takes at least 4-7 days for the tissue swelling to subside, so be patient and continue with your good care.

Back
Top Bottom