Possible Polish?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by confusedchick, Nov 30, 2016.

1. confusedchick

confusedchick New Egg

Nov 30, 2016
    I live in upstate NY and recently found a chicken at our doorstep. We thought it might be a rooster but the lack of noise and an egg told us otherwise. I am just wondering if I do have a Polish. Identifying her may help me find the owners. She has a spot on her back where she's missing feathers. At first I assumed she got attacked by a fox in the area but looking closer it seems like she was pecked at by other chickens. Also a person at Tractor Supply said that someone may have left it in the neighborhood because they don't want it. Is that possible? I'm also looking for a temporary coop idea until I can figure out a permanent home for her. It's getting cold so I want to keep her safe. We've laid out a box full of newspaper (am going to get hay soon) with some food and water. She ignores the box but likes the food. Right now she is in the open and free to roam though she prefers our porch. Any suggestions or ideas would be appreciated!!!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] she is a white crested black Polish. Understand that she is very vulnerable to predation roosting on your porch. Is there any place that you can lock her up ?

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Agree with Sourland - I would also put some Neosporin (NO Caine) ointment on her wound to help it heal.

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

A better pic of her back would confirm, but what I can see looks like damage from being overmated by a rooster. The large, bald patch on the back like that is classic.

Have you put her on your local lost and found? CL, FB, whatever?

5. kconley

kconley Just Hatched

Nov 27, 2016
    Where are you located in Upstate? I'd love to give her a happy home!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by