Possible Raccoon attack! Help Please

walkeasy

In the Brooder
9 Years
Aug 26, 2010
I was a first time chicken owner. As of this morning...

I had 5 Bantam mixed chickens, 4 hens and 1 rooster. These chickens were approximately 14 weeks old. I keep them locked up during the night and allowed them to free range in my yard during the day. I live in within the mountains and have a wide range of predators. The onset of early darkness has caught up to me. I wasn't able to lock my chickens up before dark yesterday. When I returned home I couldn't find them. I was hoping something had scared them off and they were nesting in the trees for the night, but I didn't give in to this conclusion for quite some time and I continued to look about the yard. Then I found my rooster. He was laying against his building in the dirt. When I shined the light upon him, he gave a last attempt for a crow. Very sad moment. None the less he was alive. His behavior pointed to me that he had suffered neck damage. I was/am under the impression that what ever attempted to slay my rooster was going after the back of his neck. As I continued to look, I found the rest of the flock. They were all placed within 1 foot of each other. They were dead. It didn't seem as if they were bitten by a large animal or even really suffered much battle damage. From what I could tell, they had suffered the same as the rooster, some kind of neck trauma.

I'm confused, Whatever murdered my chickens, didn't eat them. In fact they didn't take a single bit from them. Also, finding them together tells me, something put them there. I could find various dooms day spots around the yard where feathers had a flew. Further confusing me, I have seen these birds run from predators, A hawk and even some ground animal. Every time, they preformed wonderfully, 1 would fly about 50 feet away, 1 would jump into the fenced garden and the others perhaps would run/fly into there coupe were they could nest 15 feet above the ground. I had even preformed several drills, where I ran after the flock and chased them. Just trying to strength train them.

Sorry, if the above is too detailed, perhaps it is part of my grieving. I had to finish my rooster this morning as he didn't look as good as I could have hoped a good nights rest could do.

anyway, any ideas on what took my chickens out?

Thanks,

Sounds like a dog attacked them. I'm SO sorry.
hugs.gif
I've had it happen to me more than once. Now I have a hawk and skunks to worry about - ugh!!
roll.png

On a happy note --->
welcome-byc.gif
from western NC.

Hi Walkeasy and welcome to BYC. It doesn't sound like a raccoon to me. I don't know what you are up against.

Sounds like dog to me, I've seen dogs grab and shake, drop and grab another till no more squeaky "toys" are left moving. The don't stop till you shoot them and they may attack you for interrupting their fun.

I am very sorry to hear about your loss of chickens. It sounds like it could have been a weasel. I have heard that they attack at the neck and suck the blood out of the chicken. Weasels are suppose to even be able to get thru a 1-2 inch diameter fencing, scary. I live in the Northern part of Washington and we have a lot of predators and I have heard about weasels, but I have never seen one, very sneaky. I hope you can find the culprit and that you are able to get more chickens. This makes me sad to hear about your chickens.
sad.png

a dog.. maybe that would explain the random piles of feathers around the yard. That might be where the dog had it way, by shaking.

The only thing I still don't understand is how did whatever it was get all the chickens. Every time I saw a predator come near, the chickens would head for there house and fly up to about 12 feet where they sleep. Unless, maybe it was a pack of dogs... Which I have heard in the last week or so.

We will get more chickens shortly.

Any ideas for the biggest baddest rooster ?

As only my second post, I have many more ideas and questions to come. Thanks for your help!!

Do you have a neighbor that hates chickens? It's probably an animal but because they were all together and no heads or guts were missing maybe you shouldn't rule out human. Hope not but maybe you should consider it.
sad.png

Definately sounds like a dog...
sad.png
I hate it when stuff like this happens to folks!
rant.gif

When it comes to Roosters (as flock protectors) bigger is better IMO... "Black Giant" "Buff Orfington" "Rhode Island Red" my best protector is a Monster sized Ameraucauna named Maximus
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom