Possible rat problem?

Thanks for the order Shelly. When your feeders arrive remember these basic tips. There are assembly videos on our main website that ends with .net, not .com, that one is the shopping cart but there will be links to the .net site on the product pages.

Then be sure and secure the feeder to a wall or post with the included wood block. Screw the block to the wall or post, slide the feeder over the block, and run a couple of screws in from the side, make your own holes for that. Or, if you have no wall or post, three patio blocks dug into the ground or litter, two for a base to set the feeder on, one at the front that isn't dug in quite so deep for the treadle to bottom out on. That treadle needs to bottom out so the birds feel secure standing on the treadle. Then set another patio block on top of the feeder to prevent it from wobbling around when a big rooster jumps up on the treadle.

Make sure the treadle has bottomed out!

Next coop up the birds in their coop or run, no other feed available, no free range, no treats, no old feed in the litter, then train them according to the instructions inside the feeder. Add nothing, delete nothing, do not use logic. In a few hours one of the birds will have learned and she will teach the others in a few days.

Email with pictures or videos if you have any problems and I will walk you through any issues.

Is there a specific poison you would recommend as a preventative measure? I had mice last winter and would freak if I ever saw a rat!
You can buy rat bait that renders the bugger sterile. They can's successfully breed. I have found a pretty good feeder. Nothing flicked out onto the ground. It's called Royal Rooster. I had rats standing on their hind legs right beside the chickens eating from the treadle feeder Waste of time and money. Some of the feeders hold up to 60lbs. I'm not strong enough to haul that in every night. You'll have to google the rat bait the makes them sterile. I don't have the info handy this early in the morning. Good luck I got rid of my rats when I stopped letting poor designs and my birds feed them ETA you can buy Royal Rooster at Amazon.

Last edited:
Can you provide any proof that I have ever sold anyone's information?

I am so glad that I refused to sell you a feeder Windingroad.
Yeah you posted my name on an open forum. I don't unnecessarily follow the Piped Piper. And I am glad I didn't waste money on a POS tin. Royal Rooster has no set up issues no adjustments. Just mount it on a solid surface and fill it up. Easy to take in at night as it doesn't hold 60 lbs of feed. NO feed on the ground. NONE ever. No sharp rusty tin to injure my birds. Easy to clearn Not overly big and clumsy to lug around or clean. Other than that.

Yeah you posted my name on an open forum. I don't unnecessarily follow the Piped Piper. And I am glad I didn't waste money on a POS tin. Royal Rooster has no set up issues no adjustments. Just mount it on a solid surface and fill it up. Easy to take in at night as it doesn't hold 60 lbs of feed. NO feed on the ground. NONE ever. No sharp rusty tin to injure my birds. Easy to clearn Not overly big and clumsy to lug around or clean. Other than that.

Didn't have to teach them to use it either. They aren't afraid of it. No slamming doors no noise at all.
BTW how much money was involved in this post. I've not seen another devotee of yours post about treadle feeder so oeleocently.

So glad to hear I'm not alone in this. Just purchased the Rat Proof Chicken Feeder after reading all the reviews I could find. My rat problem is new, but the numbers are growing exponentially... pretty sure I'm attracting existing rats as they can't possibly multiply that fast. 'My' rats are smart... evading all my traps, and I figure they'll learn how to handle the Grandpa's Feeder in no time. According to the reviews, the Rat Proof Chicken Feeder is the way to go. I had to buy four to avoid crazy high shipping fees from Oklahoma to Canada. Am selling the other three on Kijiji for what I paid. They arrive this week and I'm SOOO excited! Will keep you posted.
I am in Canada and if you have a feeder to sell, I will buy it. They won't ship to Canada now and it's $$$$ to try and organize something. Please pm me if you can :)

You definitely don't want rats around because they can carry red mites which you don't want in your coop, and diseases that can be passed to humans.

Even during the day they will visit if they know they can access the food.

I know people don't like to use poison but it is honestly the only way to make a dent in the population. You might have to try a few different brands of bait before finding one they go crazy for and get the appropriate bait station so that only rats and mice can get to it.

Rats are smart and you cannot trap them faster than they can multiply.
If you are using poisons, used it OUTSIDE the coop to avoid your chickens eating a dead poisoned mouse or rat! Use in conjunction with traps. Put poison bait under a cage, like a milk crate or sturdy laundry basket, with heavy weight on top...something the rats can get into to get to the poison, but not the chickens or other pets. I always liked useing those DCon bait trays, but you can't but them anymore. Tractor Supply sells some good poison bait, like TomCat.
Be sure to check the area around your coop for dead mice and rats and discard them so no other animal can eat them.

If you buy bales of straw or hay, you will bring in rats and mice! They love to over winter inside straw and hay bales!
Every time we have to buy straw, we always get an increase in rodent activity and so the poison and traps come out.

Back
Top Bottom