Possible reasons why my hen had a broken egg inside her uterus.

Luckybaby

Chirping
5 Years
Mar 11, 2014
My 1 year and 8 month old bantam golden laced cochin had a swollen abdomen that only feels like it contains fluid,for 3 weeks, before I felt something hard in her abdomen. She also began to not eat any food on her own, 2 days after I felt the hard stuff in her abdomen. I tried to give her warm bath twice, massage her abdomen, and gave her calcium with vitamin d, but it didn't work. From what I read, egg bound chicken doesn't last for more than 2 days, so I thought, that she is laying internally since she is not dead, 4 days, after I felt the hard stuff in her abdomen.I gave her amoxicillin for 5 days, and she appears to eat the usual amount food, 7 days after the first dose. I saw a broken, but not oversized egg in her uterus, and about an 1 inch long broken egg shell outside of her reproductive organ( it was on the bottom of her abdomen). The egg, also contains cooked egg yolk, and some white stuff, that looks like pus. I gave her amoxicillin 5 weeks before I felt the hard stuff in her abdomen, and she was living in a cage during those time without physical interaction with other chickens. Did I handle her unproperly? I don't remember pushing her abdomen really hard.

Very fortunate your bantam passed the egg even broken. I think the
amoxicillan probably saved her from a massive infection that could
have taken up in her body.

Back
Top Bottom