Possible rickets

BCLFarm

Chirping
6 Years
Mar 6, 2018
I’ve had chickens 3 years. Since our flock has dropped by half (thanks to someone’s dog busting into our ‘free range’ fenced in area and killing 5 of our girls… we have added to our flock. They are now 3 weeks old. 1 is now showing signs of possible rickets. Her legs and feet are weak and wobbly. Her legs also seem to hyperextend when up and running around. She lays down often. I just noticed it about 3 days ago, too late that day to get anything from store for treatment, picked up rooster booster yesterday and am wheeling their brooder out for sunshine during the day now that schools are closed (I work for a school). She was worse last night than the night before when I first noticed. What else can/should I do? She is a lakenvelder, which I hadn’t heard of until I got her.

There are many others more knowledgeable than me, but they will probably want pictures and/or a video so they can better help. If it is rickets, the sunshine and vitamins should help. Also check the mill date on your food. It should be stamped on the bottom of the bag - maybe on the tear off strip at that end. Most of what I have read says to try to use up the food before it is 2 months old. I have heard of some stores selling food that is a year old though😒. It never occurred to me to check the mill date before I read that...
@Wyorp Rock @casportpony any ideas?

There are many others more knowledgeable than me, but they will probably want pictures and/or a video so they can better help. If it is rickets, the sunshine and vitamins should help. Also check the mill date on your food. It should be stamped on the bottom of the bag - maybe on the tear off strip at that end. Most of what I have read says to try to use up the food before it is 2 months old. I have heard of some stores selling food that is a year old though😒. It never occurred to me to check the mill date before I read that...
@Wyorp Rock @casportpony any ideas?
How do I post a video? I’ll try and get a better picture when I get home of how she lays and sits.

9E32D330-B290-4348-8DDC-9E3A2A840EE1.jpeg
B8F77059-EF6A-466C-AFD8-4017FFFA5C4A.jpeg

Her laying and also showing that she doesn’t curl/grab with her toes like others do

What Rooster Booster product do you have? Poultry Cell is one they have and it has riboflavin. Read the label or show a picture of which one you have. There is Vitamins with Lactobacillus they also make. I think it has riboflavin. Human B complex tablets is a good thing to use for leg problems. It contains all B vitamins, and dosage is 1/4 tablet daily crushed and added to a spoonful of water or added to a small amount of food or treat.

There are leg bone deformities that can be common. Varus or valgus deformity in one or both legs can make the legs appear bowlegged or knock kneed. Vitamin D3, calcium, and phosphorus are all needed in proper ratios to prevent rickets. Most balanced chicken feeds contain them in the right balance.

Back
Top Bottom