Possible rickets

What Rooster Booster product do you have? Poultry Cell is one they have and it has riboflavin. Read the label or show a picture of which one you have. There is Vitamins with Lactobacillus they also make. I think it has riboflavin. Human B complex tablets is a good thing to use for leg problems. It contains all B vitamins, and dosage is 1/4 tablet daily crushed and added to a spoonful of water or added to a small amount of food or treat.

There are leg bone deformities that can be common. Varus or valgus deformity in one or both legs can make the legs appear bowlegged or knock kneed. Vitamin D3, calcium, and phosphorus are all needed in proper ratios to prevent rickets. Most balanced chicken feeds contain them in the right balance.
Rooster booster B12 Is what i have. Our farm stores have slim pickins
What Rooster Booster product do you have? Poultry Cell is one they have and it has riboflavin. Read the label or show a picture of which one you have. There is Vitamins with Lactobacillus they also make. I think it has riboflavin. Human B complex tablets is a good thing to use for leg problems. It contains all B vitamins, and dosage is 1/4 tablet daily crushed and added to a spoonful of water or added to a small amount of food or treat.

There are leg bone deformities that can be common. Varus or valgus deformity in one or both legs can make the legs appear bowlegged or knock kneed. Vitamin D3, calcium, and phosphorus are all needed in proper ratios to prevent rickets. Most balanced chicken feeds contain them in the right balance.
i have rooster booster b12. There was not much to choose from at the farm store. Our farm stores have limited selection for poultry even though they sell chicks.

I’ve had chickens 3 years. Since our flock has dropped by half (thanks to someone’s dog busting into our ‘free range’ fenced in area and killing 5 of our girls… we have added to our flock. They are now 3 weeks old. 1 is now showing signs of possible rickets. Her legs and feet are weak and wobbly. Her legs also seem to hyperextend when up and running around. She lays down often. I just noticed it about 3 days ago, too late that day to get anything from store for treatment, picked up rooster booster yesterday and am wheeling their brooder out for sunshine during the day now that schools are closed (I work for a school). She was worse last night than the night before when I first noticed. What else can/should I do? She is a lakenvelder, which I hadn’t heard of until I got her.
Is it Marek's! Look up a photo of what Marek's paralysis looks like.

image.jpg

Picked this up. Wish me luck

Is it Marek's! Look up a photo of what Marek's paralysis looks like.
Are you asking or telling? I am not sure If it is or not. Her eyes are not changing colors. She flaps her wings and flies a bit. I hope not cause she is not separated from the others. I do not really have anywhere to put her separate. The hatchery watched a video I sent them and they are thinking rickets. Come to find out the rooster booster didn’t have the D3 like I thought. So picked up some D3 soft gels that I can puncture and squeeze into her mouth. I just do not know how much to give a day. And how long do I let it go on. I know some people would take theirs to a vet and pay big bills to find out, but I grew up on a farm and it is a chicken. Maybe that sounds harsh, but it is our reality here.

Your feed should have enough vitamin d, and again, d, calcium, and phosphorus must all be in a proper ration. I would once again recommend that you either give B complex, or get a chick vitamin that has riboflavin. A vitamin or mineral deficiency may not be the problem, but at least you would be treating it just in case.

As for it being Mareks, 3 weeks is about as young as Mareks symptoms can show up, but it usually strikes later on average at 5-25 weeks of age. Because of that I don’t think that is what is going on, but it cannot be ruled out.

Here is some info on vitamin and mineral deficiencies:
https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poul...ement-poultry/vitamin-deficiencies-in-poultry

https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poul...ement-poultry/mineral-deficiencies-in-poultry

Your feed should have enough vitamin d, and again, d, calcium, and phosphorus must all be in a proper ration. I would once again recommend that you either give B complex, or get a chick vitamin that has riboflavin. A vitamin or mineral deficiency may not be the problem, but at least you would be treating it just in case.

As for it being Mareks, 3 weeks is about as young as Mareks symptoms can show up, but it usually strikes later on average at 5-25 weeks of age. Because of that I don’t think that is what is going on, but it cannot be ruled out.

Here is some info on vitamin and mineral deficiencies:
https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poul...ement-poultry/vitamin-deficiencies-in-poultry

https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poul...ement-poultry/mineral-deficiencies-in-poultry
What is difference in b complex vs. the D3?

Back
Top Bottom