Possible Roo and Adding A Chick

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ecocheapomom, Apr 30, 2009.

1. ecocheapomom

ecocheapomom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2009
    New Hampshire
    We are a new chicken raising family (about a week) and I did much of my pre-research here on BYC. We now have our 8 NH Reds and they are doing great. I do have one that looks distinctly different from the others and, after some research, I am wondering if it might be a rooster. It is slightly larger, has a more pointy head which is also much more yellow than the others, and has hardly any feathers compared to the rest. What feathers it does have are very short on the wings. It is also the calmest of the group and tolerates being picked up really well. I know it's very early to tell, but we need to do some planning since our neighborhood won't tolerate a rooster.
    Anyway, is it best to try and give this one away now? We got them from the local feedstore and they were sold as sexed chicks. I know there is only about 90% accuracy with this, but do you think they might let me "trade him in" for another chick? Or even trun him over and buy another?
    We would really like to have 8 so if this one turns out to be a rooster I was thinking of adding another chick now. Can I bring in another chick that would be about a week younger?
    One more question, if there is a little poo stuck to the fuzz, but it isn't blocking the vent at all or building up, should I just leave it?
    Thanks for any and all advice! I am already getting Chicken Fever!

2. patyrdz

patyrdz The Madd Hatcher

Feb 26, 2009
    Southern Pines, NC
    You can try asking the feed store if they will exchange it. If they won't, keep him it may be a hen that is developing faster. If you want 8 chickens, I would get one more now, so if that one is a male, you will not get one way younger than the others. Hopefully the other chicks will be ok now with a younger one, watch them when you first put the new one with them. Make sure they don't beat her up. If that is a rooster and you can't exchange him, he won't crow for a while, just be looking for a good home in the meantime.
    For the poopy bottom, I don't clean mine unless it is covering the vent. Just watch to make sure it does not keep collecting in the same spot, cause them full blown pasty but will happen. Good luck, I hope this helps!![​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. ecocheapomom

ecocheapomom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2009
    New Hampshire
    Thanks for the input! I will check in with the feed store today and see what they have. We are also going to our first chicken swap on Sat. and maybe we will find something there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by