Possible roos???

mamahen2011

Chirping
8 Years
Apr 14, 2011
Michigan
Had a terrible ordeal the other night and have since separated the offender ... but I "THINK" (please help me here) these 2 may be roos and the reason for the altercation.

Piccadilly suddenly became NASTY to poor Pikachu and pecked up his/her neck pretty good. I came home to find Piccadilly on top of a terrified, cowering, Pikachu
sad.png

So ...

Here are pics from yesterday ... they are 3-4 weeks old

Picadilly

011.jpg

017.jpg

Pikachu

027.jpg

024.jpg

028.jpg

ALSO ... when girls are determining their pecking order ... does it get violent at times??? I have 2 that seem to keep going at each other. One is the smallest the other is one of the largest. Are they just both trying to be "top chickens?" Will they work it out or should they be separated? I know I'm going to have to move some of these guys because I don't have room to keep everyone separated. I think a few will be moving to my cousins sooner then expected or I will have to find them other homes with someone else as I can't have them fighting with each other all the time
sad.png
Please advise. They have been so sweet up until the assault on Pikachu. Since them everyone seems to be going nuts! I have definitely noticed that the d'uncles are getting the worst of things as it's the sebrights that are going after each other and poor CHU!
sad.png
I need to hear from you experienced chicken people
smile.png

Thanks.

There are only pics of the 2 birds in the altercation.

The 2nd one (brown) is the sweetest thing and is now TERRIFIED of any kind of sudden movement in ANY of the birds.
sad.png
We were hoping it was a pullet so we could keep that one but now I just am at a loss because of the nastiness that occurred. Poor little thing has a big chunk of feathers missing now from his neck probably a 1 inch square section. Also can see on the body of the brown, when it stretches it's wings, where it took a beating. The offender (pictured in the top 2 pictures) is now separated with another that never seemed to bother anyone and never seemed to get picked on ... so far so good.

I have been watching the other 4 and they seem to be getting on ok. There have been a few skirmishes between them but nothing too bad. It seems like it's probably just establishing an order amongst themselves. I have noticed some posturing and chasing, very minimal pecking.

At this point I'm hoping to determine if these 2 ARE roos or if they are pullets. If the top one ISN'T a roo ... it sure has a BAD attitude towards other birds. And of course, that one was the most friendly of all of them ... up until the past couple days.

So ... question is ... are BOTH of these roos????
smile.png
Maybe only time will tell.

Usually they don't fight like that unless you introduce a new roo in with an existing roo. I would wait a bit, but they do look male to me as well....

Back
Top Bottom