Possible Rooster?

So, I'll ask it here as well, because this is what started all of this, and I got a confirmation that the egg looks fertilized - since this is what this is all about, too - is this egg fertilized?

309978768_627067032391785_4511446796881366429_n.jpg

So, I'll ask it here as well, because this is what started all of this, and I got a confirmation that the egg looks fertilized - since this is what this is all about, too - is this egg fertilized?

View attachment 3278889
Bullseyes are not an accurate way to judge if an egg is fertile. Plenty of people with female-only flocks get them too.

Okay, we'll do that tomorrow, it's dark and they are asleep now! :)
That's the point: grab them in the dark, while they are roosting, so they are easy to get. It saves a lot of time and fuss catching chickens. Then you can look with a flashlight or head lamp, or carry each one into a lit place to see better.

When you're doing that, you might also check the vent & pubic bones to see who is laying. https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/who-is-laying-and-who-is-not-butt-check.73309/

Pointy saddle feathers coming in would mean a male.
Laying eggs would mean a female.
Hopefully that will not leave very many "maybes" to sort through.

Bullseyes are not an accurate way to judge if an egg is fertile. Plenty of people with female-only flocks get them too.
Thank you, we were just so surprised that see that, but if it means nothing really, then we will just go under the assumption that are all females right now. If the Wyandotte ends up being a rooster, it's fine, we can have one of those as well.

A little update, the Silver Laced Wyandotte is a pullet for sure, she started squatting and gave me her first (small) egg yesterday. I still have the black sex link/star not laying, and it's been 25 weeks. I just checked her again today, and her vent is still very closed looking - her comb and wattle are a little bigger and red, so I'm still hopeful for her to lay soon. All the other girls we got at the same time as her are laying. I expect that our other two will lay in the next few weeks as well.

Back
Top Bottom