Possible roosters?

tha5150

Chirping
Nov 29, 2015
Barred Rock, brown one and the white one (not sure what breed). Thinking they are roosters due to the sattle feathers. They are barely 3 months.

Please excuse the horrible photos.

Hoping we don't have roosters since we had to get rid of the other two.

We are seeing some iridescent green feathers on all but the white one. Forgot to mention that in the previous post

Why? The irodecent feathers? Curious how your making your decision. Why the white one? Sattle feathers pointing down? We aren't good with the comb stuff yet

And thank you for your response!

Too much comb development for their age. Pullets usually don't even start to turn red in the comb until after 14 weeks. Plus, the first two have very patchy coloring that is indicative of male birds. And they all have very clearly visible male saddle feathers.

They're all cockerels.

They're a bit young for a ton of hackle or saddle feathers, but they're getting them.

First clue for me is the comb. That's why we ask age of the bird. At this age, that much comb and redness is a male giveaway.

On the brown and white birds, the coloring is also a clue. Their color is patchy and irregular, also a guy thing. Females have smooth, even coloring. Red Patches of Death on the wings are also a guy thing in chickens.

Their shape is another clue. Look at them compared to the pullets. These guys are leggier, more gawky looking, unfinished. Like teenage boys
wink.png

They're all cockerels.

They're a bit young for a ton of hackle or saddle feathers, but they're getting them.

First clue for me is the comb. That's why we ask age of the bird. At this age, that much comb and redness is a male giveaway.

On the brown and white birds, the coloring is also a clue. Their color is patchy and irregular, also a guy thing. Females have smooth, even coloring. Red Patches of Death on the wings are also a guy thing in chickens.

Their shape is another clue. Look at them compared to the pullets. These guys are leggier, more gawky looking, unfinished. Like teenage boys
wink.png

agreed

ok, im seeing an unfortunate pattern with the sex..dangit!!! here is a link to the whole flock, just fyi.. I took these all this morning

<iframe src="https://onedrive.live.com/embed?cid...3A393933F117261!48470&authkey=AF1krTDhfIRy6-U" width="165" height="128" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>

just to make myself feel better, here is a few more pics of the flock and its entirety. i am posting mainly the 2 silverlaced (what exact breed???) and we think they are hens. ill tell ya what though, we are done buying non sexed chicks.. thisis 5 of 12 we have had roo's!

Why does one have a black and the other a red comb?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom