Possible Roundworm?

Ltilden

Chirping
Jul 21, 2019
My second year of chicken keeping has been rough so far 😩 I feel like I keep getting hit with one problem after another, and have to come to you guys for advice every other week. Tonight’s problem I discovered is worms. I went to close my bantam coop to check and make sure everyone was tucked in for the night and I noticed this awful looking poop. Sorry for the gross picture. After a little research I’m thinking round worm? Is this something I need to go to the vet for or can I purchase a dewormer online? I would really like to avoid going to the vet if I can, but if it’s the only way I will do it.
Also I have two other flocks that are near by, but not directly attached to this coop and the chickens don’t have access to each other . Is it best to deworm everyone? Or just those in this coop/flock?

Attachments

• 10A47CF2-6688-4B5A-98FE-A29379F96678.jpeg
    10A47CF2-6688-4B5A-98FE-A29379F96678.jpeg
    812.7 KB · Views: 22
Yep. Looks like roundworms to me. Deworm them all. No need to go to the vet.
@dawg53 will recommend you a de-wormer. Probably be Safeguard or Valbazen.

It would be best to worm all your birds. I recommend Valbazen liquid cattle/sheep wormer. Give it orally to each chicken using a syringe without needle. Dosage is 1/2ml given to each chicken. Redose in 10 days.
It's best to worm your birds early in the morning before feeding them.

It would be best to worm all your birds. I recommend Valbazen liquid cattle/sheep wormer. Give it orally to each chicken using a syringe without needle. Dosage is 1/2ml given to each chicken. Redose in 10 days.
It's best to worm your birds early in the morning before feeding them.
Okay, thank you so much for the recommendation! I just want to confirm that I can give 1/2ml to my bantams to, or should I do a smaller dose for them ?

Okay, thank you so much for the recommendation! I just want to confirm that I can give 1/2ml to my bantams to, or should I do a smaller dose for them ?
Can you weigh them?

It's .08 ml per each pound the bird be weighs.
Screenshot_20210223-195507.png

Can you weigh them?

It's .08 ml per each pound the bird be weighs.View attachment 2542798
Thank you that’s perfect, I have 28 in total so it might be tough to weigh them all but I will figure it out.

I also should have asked in the original post (maybe it’s better if I start a new thread?) if it’s safe to treat for mites and roundworm at the same time? Or if I should space them out and if so which do I treat first? Ive been battling the mites for about a month or so. I tried the ivomec eprinex first since it was cheaper but didn’t have any luck, so I just purchased Elector PSP.

Thank you that’s perfect, I have 28 in total so it might be tough to weigh them all but I will figure it out.

I also should have asked in the original post (maybe it’s better if I start a new thread?) if it’s safe to treat for mites and roundworm at the same time? Or if I should space them out and if so which do I treat first? Ive been battling the mites for about a month or so. I tried the ivomec eprinex first since it was cheaper but didn’t have any luck, so I just purchased Elector PSP.
Eprinex is also a wormer, and you're seeing roundworms in feces? It doesnt surprise me that Eprinex didnt kill the mites and it most likely wont kill worms in poultry due to its many years of overuse in poultry. The worms and mites have built resistance to the product, same for Ivermectin in my experience.

You couldve bought Permethrin 10% liquid concentrate to treat your chickens and coop, it's much much cheaper than Elector PSP.
Anyway, you'll need to clean out your coop and dispose of the bedding including nest boxes. Then spray the Elector PSP according to instructions in your coop and on birds. (I've never used it.)

Just get an average weight of your birds, you dont need to weigh all your birds, keep it simple.
You can use the Elector PSP since it's topical, and use either Valbazen or Safeguard (your choice which one to use) at the same time.

Back
Top Bottom