Possible Salpingitis

Kmcschoolee

Chirping
Feb 9, 2021
I have a couple leg horns 3yrs old that lay consistent soft eggs with intermittent normal eggs. One has developed a very firm belly and white diarrhea. I was able to get her feeling better with antibiotics but she is starting to get a hard belly and not feel well again after several weeks. We have had 3 cycles of this. I have another one that is a sex link that was laying normal until she molted several weeks ago. She has not layed since and now has a firm swollen belly and is sick. I looked for an egg and did not feel anything. I think they may both have salpingitis. I have started the sex link on antibiotics and she is starting to act a little better. My question is what can I do to keep my other hens from having this happen. Do I need to do a very deep cleaning in my coop or what?

You could try a deep cleaning, it wouldn't hurt. Some breeds of birds, especially ones that are bred as egg producers (which leghorns and sex-links are) are very susceptible to salpingitis as they age no matter what you do. It's possible that if it is salpingitis it's a viral cause, which the antibiotics won't help. Since the sex-link seems to be feeling better after the antibiotics, it may not be salpingitis. What kind of food do you feed?

I was doing different bag feeds but have had them on a bulk feed from my local co-op since september. What else would it be with the firm swollen belly and the antibiotics causing the belly to go down? Then it coming back after several weeks? Do I need to worry about it with my other chickens. This is the 3rd one I have dealt with. 2 leghorns and now this one sexlink.

Have you ever wormed your flock? Does their poo look "normal"? Does the feed have calcium in it and/or do you offer a calcium supplement? Does the feed look "wholesome" i.e. any potential mold/mildew? Are they walking normally? Does their overall body weight feel normal (feel for their breast bone/keel, it's should be palpable, but not super prominent)? How many total chickens do you have? Where did you get the birds? 3 seems excessive for salpingitis as it isn't known as being contagious. I think it may be a combination of things.

Also, what kind of antibiotics are you using?
Have you ever wormed your flock? Does their poo look "normal"? Does the feed have calcium in it and/or do you offer a calcium supplement? Does the feed look "wholesome" i.e. any potential mold/mildew? Are they walking normally? Does their overall body weight feel normal (feel for their breast bone/keel, it's should be palpable, but not super prominent)? How many total chickens do you have? Where did you get the birds? 3 seems excessive for salpingitis as it isn't known as being contagious. I think it may be a combination of things.
Yes I worm them twice a year poo looks white and mucusy, the feed has calcium and I provide oyster shell. And feed looks really good. The feel good weight wise. I have 13 total. the leghorns I have had for 2.5 years. the sex links about 2 years. The others I got from whiting farms last fall. I truly cant think of anything else. Its super frustrating. I just wonder if its a strange virus or what. I have been doing baytril. It seems to make them great and they are good for several weeks even a couple months.

Do not seem to be red but I will check. Thier feathers are crusty and gross. Would that cause the belly to be firm and swollen?

Do not seem to be red but I will check. Thier feathers are crusty and gross. Would that cause the belly to be firm and swollen?
Vent gleet can definitely cause a swollen belly and since they have had multiple rounds of antibiotics it could be contributing. In the mean time it would not hurt to give them a plain yogurt with a good culture in it.

Do they seem lethargic/hiding?

It's hard to say what exactly it could be a lot of times.

The only other things that have caused swollen abdomens in my chickens that I couldn't cure were liver disease and potential congestive heart failure. Which of course you wouldnt know unless they died and you did an autopsy or shelled out lots of money for a vet.

yes they start with a little dirty feathers and as it gets worse they start acting sick and puffed up. and walking funny. Would the antibiotics help the vent gleet? Because they do get better with a treatment. I have dealt with several different things with the chickens but I cannot figure this one out. And it wouldnt help with a tumor or liver disease so I know its not that. Once they do a round of antibiotics the belly goes down and they are fine. Just don't lay.

Back
Top Bottom