Possible sex-links from my flock.

TheQuinns

Chirping
Apr 30, 2019
What possible sexlinks with my flock?

The Roos- New Hampshire, Blue Copper Maran, Silver Easter Egger( looks like a dirty Delaware w/ light barring in wings),
The Obvious Choice Hens- Barred Rocks, Dominique, Cream Legbars
Other Hens- New Hampshire, Speckled Sussex, Blue Copper Maran, Welsummer, Gold Lace Wyandotte, Silver Easter Eggers ( look like dirty Delawares with light wing barring), Production Blue, Amberlink, Blue Plymouth tints

My main goals are to produce black sex-links that grow fairly fast with my New Hampshire x Barred Rock to be my dual purpose birds to sustain my flock and family with eggs and meat. I will also breed pure New Hampshires and Blue Copper Marans from time to time.

Secondary goals are to produce sexlink olive/ green layers with New Hampshire and Blue Copper Marans roos x EE hens and Cream Legbar hens for a little color variation (males should get head spot females should not)

Third goal is to produce a sexlink blue egg layer using EE Roo x Cream Legbar hens. EE Roo is peacomb so he should carry the blue gene. (Correct me if im wrong) Will crossing him over the Cream Legbars produce sex-link blue egg layers? or do i just get blue egg laying hens since he has what appears to be some barring of does the silver take over?

What other possible sexlinks am i missing aside from solid roos over barred hens

Last edited:
Third goal is to produce a sexlink blue egg layer using EE Roo x Cream Legbar hens. EE Roo is peacomb so he should carry the blue gene. (Correct me if im wrong) Will crossing him over the Cream Legbars produce sex-link blue egg layers? or do i just get blue egg laying hens since he has what appears to be some barring of does the silver take over?
If he has barring too, then you won't get sexlinks from that cross.

I don't know whether you will be able to sex them the way pure Legbars are sexed, or not.
If you've got the time and space, you could do a test hatch and see. If you think you are able to sort the chicks into groups by gender, raise them until they're old enough to double-check the gender by other methods. You could legband them and raise in one brooder, or raise "males" and "females" separately.

It's hard to predict breedings from Easter Eggers, and sometimes you just have to test it to see.

What other possible sexlinks am i missing aside from solid roos over barred hens
You looked for sexlinks with barring, but sexlinks can also be made with gold/silver.

Amberlink hens should be genetically silver, so crossing them to the New Hampshire rooster (gold) might give some nice brown egg layers. Daughters should be gold, sons silver. Crossing to the Blue Copper Marans would theoreticaly work, but in practice I think the chicks would have too much black or blue in their down, hiding the gold/silver difference.

If your EE hens are colored like Delawares, they have both silver and barring. But to get gold/silver sexlinks from them, you would cross them to the same roosters you're already planning to use for barred/not-barred sexlinks. Same cross, another way to potentially sex the chicks. It might be easier to see gold/silver on some chicks, and barred/not-barred on other chicks. (Female chicks gold and not-barred, male chicks silver and barred.)

Thanks for that info. I was thinking along those lines with my ee hens to have she able olive / green Eggers. I think my first test will be with my ee roo over leg at hens just to see what happens.

Back
Top Bottom