Possible shrink wrapped chick?

StelleKitten

Songster
9 Years
Jun 27, 2012
Granbury, Tx
So far seven of my chicks have hatched beautifully but the next few seem to be stuck. There are eight where the outside membrane is not attached to the inside membrane. They are all resting right now after pipping but I am worried. Is there anything I can do to help? I've added extra paper towels and pulled humidity up to about 85%. Should it go higher?

So far seven of my chicks have hatched beautifully but the next few seem to be stuck. There are eight where the outside membrane is not attached to the inside membrane. They are all resting right now after pipping but I am worried. Is there anything I can do to help? I've added extra paper towels and pulled humidity up to about 85%. Should it go higher?
Hi stellekitten, what do you mean not attached to the inside membrane?

Step by Step Guide to ASSISTED Hatching

Thanks Sally.
wink.png

I've re-read the guide to assisted hatching. There are two membranes inside the shell. The outer one and the inner one. The outer, white membrane and the inner clearish one are nowhere near each other. In a couple of the chicks I can see a lot of space between the two. The inner membrane seems to be closed real tight around the little ones. My first seven did great and I only opened the incubator to add paper towels to increase my humidity. I could seem to get the water into anything more than that first channel and therefore my humidity wasn't getting up high enough. I have it up to 80% now hoping to remoisturize that inner membrane so they can turn. I have pips and some started zips but no progress in several hours (going on six hours now). I wouldn't worry as it said it can take 24-36 hours at this stage but the inner membrane seems so tight they can barely move. They are all peeping and chirping (as best as I can tell). Only 3 haven't done anything at all. I'm starting to wonder if I accidentally staggered my hatch.

can you upload images? that space is the air cell, the inner is where the chick grows. internal pip comes up through that into the air cell then the chick rests, after that sometimes up to 24 hours of resting it will pip externally and then again rest up to 24 hour before it zips. zipping is just that zipping like a zipper around the egg, that only takes up to an hour.

Then I had some really badly shaped aircells. I can't get a good pic of it through the incubator I've tried a few but they wind up looking wrong. Does the aircell go from one end to the other? Because if that is what I am seeing then that's awesome. I'm not doing anything at the moment other than increasing humidity because my 60-65% may have been too low. I did do a dry hatch but kept the humidity higher than the 25% I saw to keep it at. We stayed around 30% (my house is humid with all the plants and fish). Either that or my hygrometer went bad partly through this, which wouldn't surprise me. I did test it using this method http://www.wikihow.com/Test-a-Hygrometer

LL

like that or saddle if they were shipped.... they dip on one side and draw down alot more just before hatch when they move head under wing up through to do internal pip.

there are other pictures on that assisted guide.

this is looking down from top into..]

LL

I wouldnt go higher humidity at all

The leathery looking inside part seems to look softer now. Four chicks have hatched now. Still worried about the other three but not as much. There are three others that haven't done anything but that's fine. I'll leave the incubator on for a couple more days if they don't do something by the time all these are fluffy. I'll remove the dry ones and let them keep on.

Back
Top Bottom