Possible sick Broad Breasted Bronze

phelpscoop38

In the Brooder
Jan 14, 2016
Hi, I am reaching out hopeing for some help and or advise. This is my first year raising turkeys. I have seven. I believe I have four toms and three hens, but not sure on the hens. One of my babies ( I didnt think would make it) due to it not walking right on its feet for the first month, it would just walk on its knees, but she ( I believe its a female bacause she hasnt fanned or done what the toms do ). But for about three days now, shes been stand offish twards the flock, she stays by herself even when I bring grass to the pen I have giving her, her own pile, now this morning when I went out the normal six were waiting at the door to be fed, she was no where in sit. I found her in the back of the pen laying down panting. I boosted her up, she pooped, but it was like a broken egg yellowish thick but runny. Kinda dripping out when she pushed ( sorry if I grossed ya out) followd her to the door, she walked right out, and into the front of the coop, I forced a couple of onzes of electroylights down her then got her some water which she drank a lot of. I put her in her own cage outside. She laid back down panting with her eyes shut for about an hr until I brought her in. She is now in my tub with food and water, but not eating or drinking, just laying down panting she will stop then start up again. she opens her mouth wide once in a while stretches her neck. then lays back down. Hasnt pooped since she was drinking.
Please if anyone has any advise please share. Thank you so much for takeing your time to read this.

Are you just feeding them grass? Being that she's a broad breasted she could be having heart troubles, especially if she doesn't walk around much. Broad breasted grow so fast that it can stress their heart and circulatory system. She's probably panting because she can't get enough oxygen. I don't think there is anything you can, it's the nature of the variety. They aren't meant to live long.

Yes I am feeding them grass, she is the smallest one out of the seven. She hasnt grown the like rest of them, its almost like being weird from birth stunted her growth. I thank you for your quick reply. Sad but thank you. How long are they saposed to grow for?

Yellow frothy poo could be blackhead. You can stop this immediately by giving them ground cayenne pepper in their feed. Start with alot! Like make the feed orange, then about a week later keep it at a good dusting over fresh feed. We lost 2 to blackhead before we figured out what it was. You will always have to use cayenne as the parasite stays in the ground for years. Chickens carry blackhead, it kills turkeys. Turkeys and chickens can't taste hot so you can really sock it to them. Learned this from APPPA, and it works amazing! It will allow you to keep chickens and turkeys together without having to buy expensive flagyl or other medicines that may not work. Blackhead destoys a turkeys liver which is why the poo turns yellow and frothy.

Yellow frothy poo could be blackhead. You can stop this immediately by giving them ground cayenne pepper in their feed. Start with alot! Like make the feed orange, then about a week later keep it at a good dusting over fresh feed. We lost 2 to blackhead before we figured out what it was. You will always have to use cayenne as the parasite stays in the ground for years. Chickens carry blackhead, it kills turkeys. Turkeys and chickens can't taste hot so you can really sock it to them. Learned this from APPPA, and it works amazing! It will allow you to keep chickens and turkeys together without having to buy expensive flagyl or other medicines that may not work. Blackhead destoys a turkeys liver which is why the poo turns yellow and frothy.

So how do you give it if they aren't eating? Any of mine that have had blackhead were not eating. And how about the E. coli that's usually present with blackhead, how does one treat that?

Fine, feed them the cayenne, it probably won't hurt, and it might even help, but probably not wise to make comments about not having to buy metronidazole (Flagyl). FYI, if caught soon enough, it is treatable with proper medications and supportive care.

-Kathy

Kathy, mine were still eating, just lethargic. As far as treating, my point was that if you treat this incident, it will return, over and over because the parasite lives in the soil. Using cayenne pepper has been shown to reverse the severity of the disease. With a large flock like mine, the medicine was extremely expensive. Just posting what worked for us, which is what everyone seems to do.

Kathy, mine were still eating, just lethargic. As far as treating, my point was that if you treat this incident, it will return, over and over because the parasite lives in the soil. Using cayenne pepper has been shown to reverse the severity of the disease. With a large flock like mine, the medicine was extremely expensive. Just posting what worked for us, which is what everyone seems to do.
When mine get it they don't eat or drink, which means you probably caught yours at the beginning stages of the disease, which is great, but I fear that people will read these posts and think of cayenne as a treatment even though there are no properly documented studies. On top of that, how should one treat the E.coli that almost always goes along with blackhead?

Fish-Zole is expensive, but one can find much cheaper sources of metronidazole if they shop around. My flock is the size of your flock, and I have blackhead, but I don't spend all that much in treating the ones that get sick.

Of course people post about what works for them, and that's fine, so keep doing it!

-Kathy

GROUP I. Drugs with No Allowable Extra-Label Uses in Any Food-Producing Animal Species

• NITROIMIDAZOLES — all agents, including DIMETRIDAZOLE, IPRONIDAZOLE, METRONIDAZOLE and others

so...do you use it in your turkeys meant for meat?

Until you mentioned it, I really didn't know that e-coli goes along with blackhead. Off topic, but I never knew this either when I researched it: E. Coli and Urinary Tract Infection (UTI) ... E. coli in urine are a common cause of UTI....

I would hope that my customers cook the poultry to the proper temperature to kill the bacteria! Also, i have a flyer with all my sales indicating that people shouldn't wash their poultry --

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/raw-chicken-should-you-wash-it/

:)

Back
Top Bottom