Possible sick duckling

pinksapphire

Songster
10 Years
Sep 22, 2013
I have three five week old runner ducklings in with a six week old gosling and for the past couple of days one of the ducklings is sitting off by itself, it seems a bit lethargic and cold.
It is eating and drinking.
I am going to bring it in and get the heater back out but.
Any ideas of what might be the issue and what to do or give it to help it.
All the other ducklings are fine

Bringing it inside will give you a chance to see if it's eating and drinking and if there are some significant signs of what might be going on. If it's acting cold it def doesn't need to be outside.
Have you noticed anyone of the others picking on it. Or keeping it from eating and drinking?

Bringing it inside will give you a chance to see if it's eating and drinking and if there are some significant signs of what might be going on. If it's acting cold it def doesn't need to be outside.
Have you noticed anyone of the others picking on it. Or keeping it from eating and drinking?
Thanks for your response, it is eating and drinking ok but then at other times sitting off by itself.
I haven’t seen any bulling going on they are all very gentle with each other.

Do you offer any form of niacin? It maybe a niacin deficiency it can make their legs weak to where they don’t want to walk much. You might want to get some Liquid B Complex and start the duckling on 1ml daily over a special treat so you’re sure it’s getting the right amount. Have you noticed the legs shaking or pigeon toes or bowed legs? These are signs but weakness is also one.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/niacin-deficiency-in-waterfowl.1367557/

Do you offer any form of niacin? It maybe a niacin deficiency it can make their legs weak to where they don’t want to walk much. You might want to get some Liquid B Complex and start the duckling on 1ml daily over a special treat so you’re sure it’s getting the right amount. Have you noticed the legs shaking or pigeon toes or bowed legs? These are signs but weakness is also one.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/niacin-deficiency-in-waterfowl.1367557/
I think maybe you are right as the duckling does seem fine other than not wanting to walk too much so maybe weak legs.
I have been sprinkling yeast flakes over their food but only for a few days and looking at the flakes they have no info as to the niacin content.
I have found in my cupboard a better nutritional yeast flake that contains 21mg of niacin per 5g of flakes would that be sufficient to start topping their food with daily?
Or I have liquid methyl b complex for humans would that be safe to use?
Or is it better to try find a b vitamin specifically for poultry?

Nutritional yeast is great for helping but when one already has a problem using the liquid b complex is the best. The one most of us use is Durvet liquid BComplex it will say injectable but we use it orally. I’ve never heard of MethylB for humans but most of the human you have to double the dose. Keep using the 21 mg NY over the feed that would be 1 tab over each cup of feed. And give the liquid b over a small tasty treat so your sure the duckling gets its full dose. Most of my ducks are adults except 2 being raised by a mama and they all still get nutritional yeast mixed in their feed daily it’s so good for them. Hopefully it won’t take long to see if it’s niacin related. Just be patient this comes on slowly so it may take a while to get this little one fully over it.

Nutritional yeast is great for helping but when one already has a problem using the liquid b complex is the best. The one most of us use is Durvet liquid BComplex it will say injectable but we use it orally. I’ve never heard of MethylB for humans but most of the human you have to double the dose. Keep using the 21 mg NY over the feed that would be 1 tab over each cup of feed. And give the liquid b over a small tasty treat so your sure the duckling gets its full dose. Most of my ducks are adults except 2 being raised by a mama and they all still get nutritional yeast mixed in their feed daily it’s so good for them. Hopefully it won’t take long to see if it’s niacin related. Just be patient this comes on slowly so it may take a while to get this little one fully over it.
I just wanted to thank you for all your advice, I gave the vitamin b and yeast and within a few days the ducklings was back to normal 🙏

Back
Top Bottom