Possible spine/back Injury?

calmeter

Songster
6 Years
Mar 28, 2017
I have a young chicken- approximately 7 weeks old. Last Sunday (6 days ago) I found her sitting near the coop. (My chickens free range during the day.) She was sitting while the other chicks (same age) were active. I brought her Inot the house and she cannot walk. She has been In the house for 6 days now and still cannot walk. I examined her by laying her on her back and I can move her feet and legs without seeming to cause pain. But when I hold her upright in my hands she cries. I think she must have a back injury. She cannot sit or walk. Her legs tend to go out from behind her. I think my dog may have run over her. She has no wounds. She is in a bird cage in the house and she eats and drinks. But she falls face forward when She tries to move and does not even flap her wings.

I sometimes put her In a box with a piece of fabric that I cut holes In for her legs to hang down.

If she has an injury to her back is there some better form of “traction “ for her to be in?

It sounds like she may have a back injury that has caused nerve injuries. She is on the hound side to show symptoms of Mareks, but still possible. A chicken sling which sounds like what you have her in, is probably the best thing for her, so that she can get food and water, and be more upright. I would let her out to rest, to sleep, and to move around some at night. If you have any pictures, that might be helpful. I would give some vitamin B complex 1/4 tablet crushed, and 400 IU of vitamin E in her food daily to treat the neurological symptoms. I hope that she does improve soon.

I have a young chicken- approximately 7 weeks old. Last Sunday (6 days ago) I found her sitting near the coop. (My chickens free range during the day.) She was sitting while the other chicks (same age) were active. I brought her Inot the house and she cannot walk. She has been In the house for 6 days now and still cannot walk. I examined her by laying her on her back and I can move her feet and legs without seeming to cause pain. But when I hold her upright in my hands she cries. I think she must have a back injury. She cannot sit or walk. Her legs tend to go out from behind her. I think my dog may have run over her. She has no wounds. She is in a bird cage in the house and she eats and drinks. But she falls face forward when She tries to move and does not even flap her wings.

I sometimes put her In a box with a piece of fabric that I cut holes In for her legs to hang down.

If she has an injury to her back is there some better form of “traction “ for her to be in?
Any updates? Do you have any pictures?

Back
Top Bottom