Possible Stuck Chick?

Mrseberly

In the Brooder
Oct 28, 2022
Good morning! Last night we noticed one of our babies cracked their shell and was poking through a bit. This morning we haven’t seen any movement and the shell looks to be turning a brown color. Is it time to be concerned?? Or give it a few more hours.. thank you in advance

Attachments

• IMG_3699.jpeg
    IMG_3699.jpeg
    358.3 KB · Views: 25
A little bit of yellow/brown on the membrane isn't a concern. What is your humidity at? The baby may be resting. If you shine a bright light or tap on the egg, does it move or chirp?
It's pipped on the wrong side of the egg which means that the chick is malpositioned. Usually, these types of malpositioned chicks can hatch successfully on their own, it just may take a little longer. But sometimes they will need assistance. I'd suggest taking a look at this article- Guide to Assisted Hatching.

thank you for the replies. We put them in mid day March 12th. I’ve been counting from the 13th since that was the 1st full day. We did have a successful hatch this morning. The humidity has been between 65-67. I also just put my flashlight against the incubator and actually saw some movement of the membrane!! Definitely makes sense of taking a break if it’s in the wrong position. Thank you also for the link, I will check that out!

Back
Top Bottom