Possible stunted growth?

Elliebeans

Songster
Aug 5, 2019
Tasmania, Australia
Hi,
This is my Pekin pullet Cora. She hatched at the end of October so is 16 weeks old. Any growth since I bought her has been so minimal that I haven't picked up on it, she also still has very pale skin on her head. She gets around really well, has no trouble moving or eating and holds her own and more with bigger, older chickens. Apart from the lack of growth she's a perfectly normal little pullet.

Is this normal for a Pekin or is there something wrong with her? Have posted a photo of her next to a 19 week old Pekin cockerel (sold to me with her as a pullet, sigh) and a nearly 22 week old Japanese Bantam.

Attachments

• 20200218_175605.jpg
    20200218_175605.jpg
    782.2 KB · Views: 26
  • 20200218_175200.jpg
    20200218_175200.jpg
    938 KB · Views: 11
  • 20200218_175824.jpg
    20200218_175824.jpg
    1,022.6 KB · Views: 11
Hard to tell what might be going on under all that fluff.
How does her body condition feel?
Check for creepy crawlies?
I don't know about Pekins....are they bantams?
She may be a bantam or a runt or some other genetic anomaly.
Non laying birds are pale.
As long as she eating/drinking/pooping/moving around OK....I'd not worry.

Thank you for the replies, I feel better now. She is a true bantam, I think Pekins are called Bantam Cochins in America.
She's not underweight (she eats quite well actually and is a prolific bug catcher on top of that) and isn't infested with anything that I can tell and I've wormed her too.

A couple of how-to's for ya:

Adding your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1582063709336.png

My Bug Check notes:
Have you checked them over real well for mites and/or lice?

Google images of lice/mites and their eggs before the inspection so you'll know what you're looking for.

Part the feathers right down to the skin around vent, head/neck and under wings.

Best done well after dark with a strong flashlight/headlight, easier to 'catch' bird and also to check for the mites that live in structure and only come out at night to feed off roosting birds.

Wipe a white paper towel along the underside of roost to look for red smears(smashed well fed mites).

Good post about mite ID by Lady McCamley:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/my-chicken-has-mites-now-what.1273674/page-2#post-20483008

I think she is a bantam, and may not get big. As long as her comb stays pale, she is not close to laying, and it is still possible that she will grow a bit more. Once they start laying they are pretty close to as big as they are going to be.

Back
Top Bottom