Possible Tumor

Cluckergy

In the Brooder
Mar 4, 2021
Hey everyone, I've got a 6 year old Red Star hen who needs some help. While initially we thought it was a prolapse, it appears to possibly be a tumor hanging out of her vent. This is attached by a piece of tissue that has blood vessels throughout it. It's not a piece of her intestine but looks like it may be a tumor or a cyst gone wrong.

How would you go about fixing this? Her appetite and attitude are fine, but the tissue is dying and I want to know if I should cut this "string" or try to tie it off, and just administer antibiotics for any infection. I'll attach some images to show what we're working with. Any advice is appreciated, thank you.

PXL_20210304_000159724.jpg

Here is last night where I originally thought it might be a prolapse and treated it as such.

PXL_20210304_143417863.MP~2.jpg

Here is a close up of this morning. The circled area is the section this is attached by inside her vent.
PXL_20210304_143346550.jpg

Just another image showing the changed color this morning.

Hey everyone, I've got a 6 year old Red Star hen who needs some help. While initially we thought it was a prolapse, it appears to possibly be a tumor hanging out of her vent. This is attached by a piece of tissue that has blood vessels throughout it. It's not a piece of her intestine but looks like it may be a tumor or a cyst gone wrong.

How would you go about fixing this? Her appetite and attitude are fine, but the tissue is dying and I want to know if I should cut this "string" or try to tie it off, and just administer antibiotics for any infection. I'll attach some images to show what we're working with. Any advice is appreciated, thank you.

View attachment 2554681
Here is last night where I originally thought it might be a prolapse and treated it as such.

View attachment 2554687
Here is a close up of this morning. The circled area is the section this is attached by inside her vent.
View attachment 2554695
Just another image showing the changed color this morning.
Have you felt it at all? I'm wondering if it's possibly an egg or something like an egg that's gotten snagged and she can't push it all the way out. I'd be careful with it though, if it is a tumor it will have a lot of large veins and cutting it could cause her to bleed out.

Yes, yesterday morning the vessels were all bright red and very noticeable. Now it's not so much due to the dying tissue I believe. There were several of them all attaching to this. I was thinking maybe tying it off like an umbilical cord would work but I have no idea at all how it would turn out.

Back
Top Bottom