Possible Turkey owner with little knowledge of turkeys! Help!

ZachyWachy

Songster
6 Years
Mar 25, 2017
Petersboro, Utah
My Coop
My Coop
It sounds like we might be getting turkeys soon(idk really, but it sounds like it). The problem is that l don't know too much about raising and keeping turkeys. l am your humble padawan.

P.S. Most likely these will be thanksgiving turkeys, so we won't keep them for more than however many months it takes them to get big enough for a turkey dinner.

Most likely these will be thanksgiving turkeys, so we won't keep them for more than however many months it takes them to get big enough for a turkey dinner.

You have no idea how many times we have heard this before only to be followed with "We have become so attached to our turkeys that we can't eat them."

It sounds like we might be getting turkeys soon(idk really, but it sounds like it). The problem is that l don't know too much about raising and keeping turkeys. l am your humble padawan.

P.S. Most likely these will be thanksgiving turkeys, so we won't keep them for more than however many months it takes them to get big enough for a turkey dinner.
i have 4 broad breasted white turkeys for 4-h and the best way to get them nice and fat for thanksgiving is. to let them eat as much as they want. also they need a feed that at least has 28% protein in it. then to really put the pounds on i let my turkeys have an extra hour of light in their house by having a simple light bulb in there this will give them more time to eat. and i walk them everyday to build muscle. i hope this helps :)

ps: DON'T put turkeys in with chicken because turkeys can get blackhead from chickens which is very deadly.

Nice! @lexi nichols Walk those turkeys!

Good advice. I didn't let ours mingle with chickens either. I don't like to invite trouble. There are too many good reasons not to.

We did eat ours for Thanksgiving last year. Best turkey I've ever had. I'm not wild about eating my birds, which is why I opted out of raising them this year, but it was a good experience for my homeschooled kids. We love some 4-H around here too. I've never walked turkeys, but I've walked my fair share of lambs! Lol..

Back
Top Bottom