Possible vent gleet/egg bound

With the hardened crust inside her vent, will the oil on the eggs help soften it? How long should I plan to keep doing the baths?

Hard to know if the hardened crust is scabbing, necrotic tissue or dried poop, so I would continue to give her a soak once a day, apply ointment/oil to the crust to help keep it a little softer. If it's scabbing or dried poop, it usually will eventually slough off.

Is she eating/drinking ok?

Somewhat. She ate half the egg from this morning, crazy for meal worms. I let her free range and she moved about, scratching for bugs fine. It def seemed like poop, looked in her coop and the poop that was in there looked the same just not hard

She ended up being egg bound with a soft shelled egg. Luckily I was able to help her remove it and shes now resting in a dark area. Not sure if the pecking at her vent has prevented her from laying but I hope she can pass the next egg
20211030_103439.jpg

Last edited:
I would give her extra calcium for 3-5 days. You can use Caltrate with D3 give 1 tablet daily.

Did any of the contents of the egg spill into the vent while you were removing it? If so, then it would be a good idea to give her a round of antibiotics to help prevent infection. Amoxicillin can sometimes be found at TSC, if not, you can order it online. Dose is 57mg per pound of weight given orally twice a day for 10-14 days.

With the vent being damaged she may have difficulty with laying eggs for a while or possibly from now on. Only time will tell.

Yea her vent seemed small. I dont think any egg content got inside. The second the egg broke, the content just poured out. But I can give Amox as a back up.

Back
Top Bottom