You can try tube feeding her. Some folks give a slurry of soaked feed or you can use Kaytee Exact Baby Bird Formula.

Sounds like she's passing something...of course, we don't mind photos if you wish to take those.

I don't think it's a bad sign that she's able to pass that material, better than it staying in there.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/crop-feeding.75454/
I'll see what I can find. I wasn't able to grab a picture this morning, but if she has passed any more this evening, I'll make sure to grab one. I figured it was good she was passing it for the same reasons- better than sitting inside of her!

You can try tube feeding her. Some folks give a slurry of soaked feed or you can use Kaytee Exact Baby Bird Formula.

Sounds like she's passing something...of course, we don't mind photos if you wish to take those.

I don't think it's a bad sign that she's able to pass that material, better than it staying in there.

I got some of the baby bird formula for her, so hopefully that helps her with her nutrients. Here’s a picture of her poop from this evening- much different from this morning. She’s still spirited and wants to stand (she doesn’t understand why she can’t, poor girl).

Attachments

• 9B815C5F-08CC-4218-91D5-A7E62F987475.jpeg
    9B815C5F-08CC-4218-91D5-A7E62F987475.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 10

An update on our fighter- over a week later, she’s still hanging in there. She’s actually shown some slight signs of improvement- she wants to eat some on her own now. She had a couple of really good days where she ate a scrambled egg and the baby bird food by herself and loved it! However, she’s still not able to stand and we’ve noticed that she seems to not be able to see well or something. You can tell she somewhat blindly pecks at things until she finds the food/water. I don’t know if her vision is messed up or if she’s mentally not all there. I’m not sure what else to do for her at this point. She definitely no worse, even slightly better, but I’m not sure her ultimate problem.

I'm sorry to hear she's not improving much:(
It’s a hard decision, but this evening we’re going to put her down. She developed bed sores and you can smell her rotting flesh. You can also tell that her pupils have a white film over them so she’s going blind. She’s still hungry and alert but we can’t let her rot to death and living blind and immobile is no way to live. Normally I like to let the chicken decide when it’s time to go, but the bed sores that are rotting are the final straw. There’s no way that I know of to prevent and heal them at this point. I don’t know what was wrong with our girl. I was doing research and saw maybe Marek’s? I’m certainly hoping not because I don’t want to lose the rest of our chickens this way

It’s a hard decision, but this evening we’re going to put her down. She developed bed sores and you can smell her rotting flesh. You can also tell that her pupils have a white film over them so she’s going blind. She’s still hungry and alert but we can’t let her rot to death and living blind and immobile is no way to live. Normally I like to let the chicken decide when it’s time to go, but the bed sores that are rotting are the final straw. There’s no way that I know of to prevent and heal them at this point. I don’t know what was wrong with our girl. I was doing research and saw maybe Marek’s? I’m certainly hoping not because I don’t want to lose the rest of our chickens this way
Sometimes there's nothing more that can be done and that decision has to be made.
It's not easy of course, but no need to let her linger.

To find out more about the cause of her decline, sending the body to your state lab for analysis will give you the best info. https://www.metzerfarms.com/PoultryLabs.cfm

With her passing that lash type material, then I would suspect Salpingitis or some other reproductive issue, but you won't know unless it's investigated further.
If sending the body in, is not an option and you are up to it, performing your own informal necropsy will sometimes give you a few answers.

I'm very sorry that the outcome is not positive:(

Back
Top Bottom