Possible vitamin deficiency?? Please Help!

sneal79

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 5, 2012
Indiana
I noticed the other day that one of my red sex links was limping. I picked her up to make sure she didn't have bumble foot. Nothing. I felt around on her leg for any signs of dislocation...I'm not a vet and couldn't really tell if the leg was dislocated or not. Now today, I come home from work and my husband tells me that she is in our old rabbit hutch completely unable to walk or stand. I sort of freaked out worried that she has mareks...but after reading about the symptoms, I really dont think that is her problem. I was reading some other threads on here about vitamin deficiencies. How on earth am I supposed to get vitamins in her? She is eating just fine and perks up as normal. I also read that a vitamin B deficiency can result in loss of use for the legs...but there are several vitamin B's out there and not certain which one to use. Where can I get these vitamins? Any advise that can be offered would be great! I don't think she is dying (I've witnessed one of my old barred rocks pass a few months ago).

Thank You!
Stephanie

She mightve jumped down from a high roost or other high location and sprained or pulled a tendon or ligament. Keep her in a cage isolated, provide her feed and water. You dont want her walking around possibly making the injury worse, she needs rest and relaxation. Leg injuries take time to heal; sometimes a week, a month, several months or never depending on the severity of the injury. You can purchase vitamin B complex tablets at a pharmacy. Crush a few into powder and sprinkle it on top of her feed to eat. The vitamin B complex might possibly help speed up the healing/recovery process. Do this for 5 days while she's caged, then on the 6th day release her and see if there's improvement. If not, recage her and continue the vitamin B complex treatment for another 5 days. Then release her again and check her out, hopefully there'll be improvement. If not, it'll be a quality of life issue for your hen.
I had a Black Star hen that limped around on one leg for a year, I had to keep her seperated from the others because they wanted her eliminated. I put her in a quarantine pen by herself and she did just fine hobbling around on one leg, she even laid eggs. However, after a year of hobbling on one leg...too much pressure and weight on her good leg, she collapsed. I had to put her down.
Lower roosts and get rid of any other high places your birds can jump down from. Good luck.

Thank you Dawg53! I am willing to do anything to save my girls. I have lost too many (4 to raccoons, 1 to old age) to give up on her. I will go tomorrow to buy some vitamins and keep her isolated. Have you ever dealt with mareks? Does this sound like a symptom? I will also have my husband install a lower roost for this reason. Our roosts are up high due to the amount of raccoons we have in the area. Thank you for your help!

So...I crushed up some vitamin B tabs and put it in my girls food...separated her from the others and she is doing great! She started limping again just a little bit, but I have come to the conclusion that it is has to be from jumping off of the roost in their coop. I am going to work on building a lower roost in hopes it will help.

Back
Top Bottom