Possible wing problem, but not sure

suenotto

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jul 27, 2010
Limeport
Hello all,

I'm not sure if my 6 week old duck's wings are normal or if there's a problem. The bones are very translucent on the tips of the wings. They remind me of plastic Q-tips (but they're not blue) but they are translucent and look thin and plastic-y. You can clearly see the vein in them, I almost thought they were bloody but upon closer inspection there were just a few spots that that showed evidence of feather picking (and I have found the culprit and isolated that bird). I read feather picking happens possibly if they are bored? or maybe if they are not getting enough protein? They free range at least part of the day. I will be letting them out more now. I also think one has angelwing and could use a photo or instructions on how to wrap and recommendations on feed. I saw elsewhere someone mention a higher grade duck feed purina makes? any thoughts on that?

What happens if I leave the angelwing bird alone and do not wrap it?

Thanks for your help.

If it is the same on all of your 6 week old ducks than it is probably just their pin feathers coming in. Wait a few weeks and see if they transform into real feathers. If not take them to a vet asap. Go to the "User List" at the top of this website and search for "Nettie". You can order angelwing(spelling?) wraps from her.

Back
Top Bottom