Possible wing problem, but not sure

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by suenotto, Aug 4, 2010.

1. suenotto

suenotto Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2010
    Limeport
    Hello all,

I'm not sure if my 6 week old duck's wings are normal or if there's a problem. The bones are very translucent on the tips of the wings. They remind me of plastic Q-tips (but they're not blue) but they are translucent and look thin and plastic-y. You can clearly see the vein in them, I almost thought they were bloody but upon closer inspection there were just a few spots that that showed evidence of feather picking (and I have found the culprit and isolated that bird). I read feather picking happens possibly if they are bored? or maybe if they are not getting enough protein? They free range at least part of the day. I will be letting them out more now. I also think one has angelwing and could use a photo or instructions on how to wrap and recommendations on feed. I saw elsewhere someone mention a higher grade duck feed purina makes? any thoughts on that?

What happens if I leave the angelwing bird alone and do not wrap it?

Thanks for your help.

2. treldib

treldib Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2010
    Southern California
    If it is the same on all of your 6 week old ducks than it is probably just their pin feathers coming in. Wait a few weeks and see if they transform into real feathers. If not take them to a vet asap. Go to the "User List" at the top of this website and search for "Nettie". You can order angelwing(spelling?) wraps from her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by