Possible Wry neck??

Here she is the second day. I managed to get her to eat some sunflower seeds before bed the first night and she seemed a little better the next day. Here she is eating some tuna with vitamin E oil from a capsule drizzled on it. I heard tuna has lots of selenium and I couldn't find selenium when I bought the vit E.

I have one more video of my chicken once I moved her back to the flock. This was on the afternoon of the third day. She still wasn't really drinking much or eating a lot and I figured it was partly because she was lonely. As soon as I put her in the run she went and got a big drink of water from their rubber trough. And was eating and scratching around. She's still moving a lot slower and more carefully than normal, but definitely drastically improved from the first day.

Near the end of this video my rooster jumps off a little bench he was on and stumbles sideways. It really worries me, but I'm hoping it's nothing. It was just poor timing since Alice had just been having issues and then that happened. I haven't noticed anything more from him today and Alice seems almost back to normal today as well. Should I still give her extra vitamins? Was this even wry neck?

Does she lay eggs?

I would still give her vitamins for a few days. 400IU Vitamin E and 1/4 tablet B-Complex. The tuna or some egg as a treat are sufficient for the uptake of E.

Check to make sure her crop is empty overnight.

What do you feed your flock?

Rooster in video is dancing toward the hen.

Does she lay eggs?

I would still give her vitamins for a few days. 400IU Vitamin E and 1/4 tablet B-Complex. The tuna or some egg as a treat are sufficient for the uptake of E.

Check to make sure her crop is empty overnight.

What do you feed your flock?

Rooster in video is dancing toward the hen.
She is not laying yet. She's about 21 weeks old... So hopefully soon.

She has been acting normally the past two days and I've been paying extra attention and making sure she's eating well and getting what she needs.

The feed I give them is a grower/all flock type feed since I have a couple roosters and 12 week olds. I believe it's 18% protein and there's vitamins added. Though my chickens tend to pick the bigger grains and things out and leave a lot of powder behind. I've been thinking of how to fix this problem. I like it because I get it from a local guy who worked with an agricultural nutritionist to formulate it and he grinds and mixes it himself, plus it's a decent price. But they seem to waste a lot and I'm wondering if they're actually getting the vitamins since he adds in a powdered supplement.

Thanks for the reassurance on my roo. I've never seen him do this, but I think he was just excited because he hadn't seen Alice in two days and when I brought her back he was acting weird. I was of course very paranoid that she had something contagious and he was the next one to get it.. But everyone seems good the last couple days, thank goodness!!

Though my chickens tend to pick the bigger grains and things out and leave a lot of powder behind. I've been thinking of how to fix this problem. I like it because I get it from a local guy who worked with an agricultural nutritionist to formulate it and he grinds and mixes it himself, plus it's a decent price. But they seem to waste a lot and I'm wondering if they're actually getting the vitamins since he adds in a powdered supplement.
that ur answer! they not eat all an get vita supplement they need
you can ferment the feed or give it as mush so it stick to gether

that ur answer! they not eat all an get vita supplement they need
you can ferment the feed or give it as mush so it stick to gether
Good idea. I have been thinking of trying that but wondering how it will work with colder weather coming. Water is already freezing at night here and I'm thinking they'll have frozen mash if I do that. How do people do fermented feed in the winter?

I too would soak the feed overnight or ferment it. Loose type feeds that aren't pelleted seem to give some folks troubles because the birds pick out pieces they like and leave the rest.
I don't ferment, but I do soak feed (pellets) overnight. In winter I put out small amounts of soaked feed that can be consumed fairly quickly, the birds also have dry feed available free choice, so not really a big deal.

Back
Top Bottom