Possibley getting 4 more hens.....

shannonb

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 27, 2009
Adel, IA
He's only got 3 leghorns and a redcomet.

I've heard leghorns can be ornery and they only lay white eggs, right?

I don't think I want those kind, but what's a red comet.....are they nice birds? I'm trying to get something to replace my Leah who had an untimely death.

Thanks much,

Shannon

White leghorns lay white eggs.

And red commet, do you mean golden commet/red sex link?

I love my golden commets

~Bryan

Could be, he's a young kid and might have meant golden comet. But he did say a Red Comet.

Anyone know anything about Leghorns?

Leghorns tend to be skittish and not like to be handled. They rarely go broody. They are excellent layers of good sized white eggs.

This chart has good info on breeds, including leghorns:

http://www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenderson/chooks/chooks.html

Different hatcheries have different names for the sex links, which are a hybrid of two breeds that gives chicks that can be sexed at hatch by their color. It's probably a cross between something common like a barred rock and a rhode island red -- but I really don't know anything about sex links. If he could tell you what hatchery they came from, you could check the website.

Last edited by a moderator:
We have 6 leghorns that will have absolutly nothing to do with us. We got them (picked up) the day they were hatched......handled them.....kept them in an inside brooder right in our living room......and yet they still act like we are going to roast them everytime we go in their coop to feed/water them. They are 9 weeks old and very flighty and unfriendly. I put velcro bands on them when they were little and I thought they were going to tear me up when I took them off a few weeks ago. I'm not looking forward to having to pick them up when they get bigger. I also don't trust the leghorns to free range in the backyard. I'm afraid that I would not be able to get them back in.

We got them for white eggs. My MIL only likes white eggs so that was the main reason I got them. Also, leghorns are good layers and I was told they would lay all winter. If you just want eggs, leghorns are a good choice. If you want an egg laying pet, consider another breed.

BTW..... Of all my standard breeds, I consider the New Hampshire Reds to be the friendliest and most lovable. And they cluck the most. LOL

My Golden Comets are sweet, docile, and friendly; all my hens are curious and friendly and will allow me to pick them up, although some like it more than others. I have Buff Orpingtons, Australorps, RIRs, BRs, and bantam BBRed OEGBs and silkies. They will all TOLERATE being picked up and held, and most of them will run to me as soon as they see me coming out the door. I was advised by a friend who's raised chickens for years to avoid the leghorns, Asils, or anything of Mediterranean descent.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom