possibly egg bound hen?

froggyphore

Songster
Sep 20, 2019
having a little bad luck with chickens today. i noticed one of my smaller ladies (cinnamon queen) was looking a bit lethargic and had her tail down. i picked her up and felt her abdomen and it was quite swollen and contracting a bit. i checked her vent and it seemed a bit red but not swollen. i gave her a warm bath for 15 minutes and the contractions got a lot stronger. i set her down on a nest to see if she would try and lay but she just waddled off, so i set her back in the bath for about 5 minutes and then internally examined her.

i’m not super familiar with internal chicken anatomy, so pardon the description. i stuck my finger in about 2 inches and didn’t feel anything, but on the left behind a membrane i could feel a large lump about the size of an egg, though a bit more pliable. it was definitely more firm than a shelless or soft shell egg, but i don’t know what it was. i tried to see if i could feel inside the opening to the area but it was a lot smaller than my finger and i didn’t want to hurt or injure her. the small opening i felt wasn’t contracting so i don’t believe it was her oviduct, and it seemed far too small for an egg to leave. after i removed my finger i felt her left side and i can feel the lump there too.

i have her in a large cat carrier in the shade on a towel and shes still contracting, though a bit weaker. is this egg binding or something else? she was normal yesterday so it isn’t far along yet, should i take her to the vet asap or wait and see for a few hours? tyia

edit: forgot to mention, shes passing normal waste but they’re quite small.

no ones responded yet but update: she left the carrier (no egg yet) and is looking around in the bushes for somewhere to lay (she doesn’t like laying in the coop when she’s stressed)

i’m sorry to keep boosting, but i’m very concerned and any leads would be nice. i’m taking her to the vet tomorrow but is there anything i should do in the mean time?

Back
Top Bottom