Possibly egg-bound?

A.M. Eggs

Songster
Jan 7, 2018
Wichita Falls, TX
I have a hen that seems to always have the problems. This time I think that she may be egg-bound. I have searched the symptoms and most seem to match, except for the egg. I felt her abdomen where an egg would be but it didn’t feel off. These are her symptoms: laying down, little to no movement, pooping while sitting(poop shows signs of not eating and possibly stress), empty besides some liquid in crop, and her tail is on the ground. She isn’t panting, wheezing, drooling, her comb isn’t pale(its red), she doesn’t appear to have lost weight, and just by the way she looks it seems like she is normal. Could there have been an egg at some point that may have broke? She was normal yesterday. Should I feel again?

I have a hen that seems to always have the problems. This time I think that she may be egg-bound. I have searched the symptoms and most seem to match, except for the egg. I felt her abdomen where an egg would be but it didn’t feel off. These are her symptoms: laying down, little to no movement, pooping while sitting(poop shows signs of not eating and possibly stress), empty besides some liquid in crop, and her tail is on the ground. She isn’t panting, wheezing, drooling, her comb isn’t pale(its red), she doesn’t appear to have lost weight, and just by the way she looks it seems like she is normal. Could there have been an egg at some point that may have broke? She was normal yesterday. Should I feel again?
Can you post some photos of your hen and her poop?
How old is she?
How long have you had her?
If she's able to poop, then she's not "Egg Bound" or at least does not have an egg low enough in the reproductive tract to block the intestines entirely. To feel for an egg, you would need to insert a gloved, lubricated finger inside the vent about 1-2" to see if you feel it.

She may be having trouble passing a soft shelled egg or possibly be having some reproductive issues. Does she normally lay eggs with no problems?

I would try to keep her hydrated, check her crop first thing in the morning before she eats/drinks. Feel inside the vent for an egg.

In addition to what Wyorp Rock stated, try soaking her in a container of warm water up to her sides for about 30 minutes. The warm water will relax her innards. Once she's comfortable in the water, massage her underside front to rear while she's soaking. This will help her move the egg along. Then after soaking, gently pat dry her and continue with vent lubrication. Then hopefully she'll lay an egg or expel a soft egg.

Ok I will try after I get home this afternoon. She is 1 1/2 old. She had salpingitis in the past, which she recovered from. Ever since she seemed to have been laying normally but I kept a close eye. I am going to soak her and try to help her out today.

Ok I will try after I get home this afternoon. She is 1 1/2 old. She had salpingitis in the past, which she recovered from. Ever since she seemed to have been laying normally but I kept a close eye. I am going to soak her and try to help her out today.
If she has Salpingitis (Lash Egg) then she may be trying to pass another one. How did you treat her the first time?

She healed herself in about 2-3 weeks. Then she began laying again and was perfectly heathly after a month and a half. She’s hasn’t any problems since and that was back in March. She is acting differently than when she had salpingitus. She was standing around and didn’t have a dirty butt with salpingitus. Right now she is laying around and has a poopy dirty butt. She barely moves. She went into the coop and came out of the coop last night so I know that she can move. I can’t feel any egg or anything abnormal around her abdomen though. I am going to do an epsom salt bath and massage and then let her sleep away from the flock for the night. If she doesn’t pass it I am going to continue the epsom salt baths. What I am worried about is whether she is actually egg-bound or not. Could it be something worse or maybe the salpingitus came back?

7F7BDDC7-C797-4B79-9CF2-949ADC306397.jpeg
She went right in with no struggle. It worry’s me though. I figured that I might have had to hold her down for a few minutes. I am going to start massaging a few minutes after this this post and then let you know how everything went in the morning.

(I felt her flexing her vent so I think that she may be straining)

this is what is happening to my pullet, she is 6 months, can 6 month olds be eggbound? her tail is down she is wobbly and she should be laying any day but i feel nothing down where the egg would pass out, she is all fluffed up and still eats and drinks i had a thread up, hope your chicken gets better!
img_20190904_184918-jpg.1898605
this is a picture of her

She healed herself in about 2-3 weeks. Then she began laying again and was perfectly heathly after a month and a half. She’s hasn’t any problems since and that was back in March. She is acting differently than when she had salpingitus. She was standing around and didn’t have a dirty butt with salpingitus. Right now she is laying around and has a poopy dirty butt. She barely moves. She went into the coop and came out of the coop last night so I know that she can move. I can’t feel any egg or anything abnormal around her abdomen though. I am going to do an epsom salt bath and massage and then let her sleep away from the flock for the night. If she doesn’t pass it I am going to continue the epsom salt baths. What I am worried about is whether she is actually egg-bound or not. Could it be something worse or maybe the salpingitus came back?
My understanding is that there is no cure for Salpingitis. Depending on the severity of the inflammation, a hen can lay normal eggs, but the possibility is great that this is what's causing her to not feel well right now.
You are doing what you can for her, let us know if she passes anything. If it's more lash material, then you might consider treating her with antibiotics to help with infection.

I agree salpingitis is the most likely problem here. If she were mine, I would treat aggressively with enrofloxacin and ibuprofen (or metacam if you can get it) right away. Is an avian vet an option? Though molting can be hard on them, if would be a blessing if her molt came on right now and shut off her laying cycle for awhile so her oviduct has a better chance of healing. Enrofloxacin dose is about 6.81mg per pound of bird twice daily for seven days. I think the ibuprofen is 2.285mg per pound twice daily, but only for a few days. (Does someone want to check my math?) Is her belly bloated with fluid at all? If so, she may also do well with 4mL of Lily of the Valley Aloe Detox for a few days to help her naturally shed the fluid.

Back
Top Bottom