Possibly eggbound duck, question about Calcium gluconate 23% solution

Are you sure this is egg binding? Could it be internal laying if you saw the soft shell hanging from her vent? The green poop makes me think she is not eating, your going to want to get her interested in food as much as possible. Maybe trying wetting down the feed, and sprinkling some of her favorite treats on top?
I would give her a dose of calcium every day. Calcium overdose would take feeding high amounts of calcium for a long period of time. A few days isn't going to hurt her.
Can you take a glove finger and insert it into her vent 1-2" deep? If she is egg bound you will be able to feel an egg. If not, it might be internal laying or another reproductive issue.
I don't have experience with egg bound ducks, but I do with chickens. Assuming a lot of the same principles apply, but please correct me if I am wrong @Miss Lydia

As far as feeling for an egg that can work if the egg is down low enough in the tract. but def worth a try. She could have an infection going on, do you know when she laid a normal egg last? Do you have any antibiotics on hand? or is a vet an option? they can Xray and see if there is an egg stuck.

Her vent was pulsating more 2 days ago than it is now but still a little...actually not really hardly at all now.. I gave her a second dose of CG last night, and also an ml of water after it. I havent seen her eat or drink and I have her in warm bathtub right now and she doesnt care about the little meal worms and pieces of lettuce floating around. I just tried to do a vent exam and I dont feel anything in there but I only went in about one inch, and she has light green yucky stuff leaking out very slowly. My poor baby Quackers Im praying and trying my best.
As for antibiotics what can I get from my local tractor supply for her? I think she might need them. I think she could have internally layed because a few days ago there was eggy liquid dripping out. I wish I could take her to the vet but we just dont have the money for that right now. I dont really know whats wrong. maybe some kind of infection. :(

Last edited:
Maybe Egg Yolk Peritonitis EYP you might want to look it up and read on it.

You can order meds on line Not sure what TSC carries now since government stepped in and stopped the sale of many but fish meds work great too. Also Baytril Let me see if I can find what would be good for EYP.
https://allbirdproducts.com/products/baytril-10
https://farminence.com/egg-yolk-peritonitis/ Look at the antibiotics rec for this and call TSC and see what they have. they may carry Oxytetracycline.
Of course we can only guess what is going on but it sure seems to be showing as an infection.

Last edited:
As far as feeling for an egg that can work if the egg is down low enough in the tract. but def worth a try. She could have an infection going on, do you know when she laid a normal egg last? Do you have any antibiotics on hand? or is a vet an option? they can Xray and see if there is an egg stuck.
I just asked a neighbor and she gave me 4 pills of doxycycline 100 mg,, and 2 pills of zithromax 250mg.... can I use either and how much?? She weighs about 4 pounds.

aha yes the TSC does have oxytetracycline
it saysGive 4.5 mL per 100 pounds IM or SQ in neck
so I guess .45 per 10 pounds
or .045 per pound of duck? so about .2 ml for her (shes about 4 pounds) I hope thats right? and ugh how many doses how many hours apart and all that... help?
And again, it says injectable, so I hope its ok to give orally!!
Im sorry so man questions thank you so much for help!!
I just researched the doxycycline and it is pretty much the same as oxytetracycline... Im thinking of crushing a pill and dissolving it in 3 ml water and giving her .15 at a time, if my math is right, its a 100 mg pill .

Last edited:
Sorry, I haven't been getting notified for some of my tags lately.

The dosages I have for doxycycline is 50mg/kg twice a day for 3-5 days administered orally.

I am not familiar with egg periodontists, so I am not sure how much more I can help. I can say if one antibiotic doesn't work, try another. Some antibiotics are better at treating one vs another. I hope she starts feeling better.

Back
Top Bottom