Possibly eggbound parakeet?

Discussion in 'Caged Birds - Finches, Canaries, Cockatiels, Parro' started by alynnx, Mar 12, 2017.

1. alynnx

alynnx New Egg

Mar 12, 2017
    My budgie has been trying to lay eggs for a while, she passed around four, (only one hatched, but died a couple days after) and the others didnt hatch at all. Before we could remove the nesting box, she laid again, and currenrly has three eggs although they dont seem fertilized. She mostly stays in the box, but earlier i saw her sitting on the bottom of the cage, and she looks puffy. and lethargic. We tried giving a warm bath and she seemed a lot more calm and back to her usual self. We decided to put her back in the cage and continue to watch her, but she still lingers on the bottom. Although she does go up to the box sometimes. We are unable to take her to the vet. Is there anything else we could possibly do for her?

2. gpop1

gpop1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2015
    If you think its egg binding then the only treatment I could suggest in calcium. We have it in a liquid that we will crop feed a bird but as that requires experience I would suggest a calcium tablet ground up and mixed in with the food. A large boost in calcium may help but should not be used over a long period of time. If the bird has cuttle bone then generally they will control there own calcium levels.

To be honest I would discard any eggs and remove the nest box for a few week to try to stop her laying. A dead chick could be the sign of a inexperienced parent bird or a bird that is to sick to care for a chick. Once shes back to her normal self you can let her try again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by