Possibly getting close to laying at 15 weeks?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Dolivo, Jul 30, 2016.

1. Dolivo

Dolivo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2016
    Hi, I have 20 pullets, 7 different breeds. They will be 15 weeks old on tuesday, in 3 days. One of them, a Rhode Island Red, her comb and waddles have turned bright red. None of the others have red or even close to red combs yet. Is it possible that this one pullet could start laying this young? I have read they can start as early as 16 weeks but is unusual. Im thinking i should get my butt in gear and get their nesting boxes ready. I figured i had another month at least but maybe not?

2. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    You should have the nest boxes ready about a month before you are expecting eggs. That way, they have a chance to get comfortable with them. As they get closer to laying, they will start to spend more time 'practicing' to lay an egg. Some pullets will sit in a nest for hours at a time, just getting used to them.

1 person likes this.
  3. BuffOrpington88

BuffOrpington88 Non-Stop

Mar 20, 2012
    Hi! Yep, sounds like it's time to get the nesting blocks ready! It does sound like the RIR will lay soon. Some just lay sooner than others.

1 person likes this.
  4. Dolivo

Dolivo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2016
    Great, I will get busy! ThAnk you :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by