Possibly New Laying Hen

Owlalwaysbeme

In the Brooder
Aug 11, 2023
My Rhode Island read is currently 18 weeks and is showing all the signs of getting ready to lay her comb is extremely red along with her waddles. She also does the submissive squat when you get near her or touch her back, and has been for the last week …but I noticed today she is acting a little different. Normally, she’s very vocal and yells at you when you come in the run in the morning she is more quiet and seems to be puffed up just a little bit. She is still socializing, scratching and eating and drinking water and I noticed her bottom was pulsating in and out more than it typically does. Not sure if this is a sign she’s going to be laying here very shortly or if my girl is not feeling well wondering if anybody had any suggestions this is my first year with chickens.

Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_8840.jpeg
    IMG_8840.jpeg
    409.8 KB · Views: 23
Monitor the situation to see if there are other signs. I think she's getting close to laying. It's new and different for her, and she has no frame of reference for these changes.

Is she eating/drinking ok? Are her droppings normal, or normal for her? If you have questions about them, you can post pictures. No, we don't think it's weird or gross.

And,
:welcome

Monitor the situation to see if there are other signs. I think she's getting close to laying. It's new and different for her, and she has no frame of reference for these changes.

Is she eating/drinking ok? Are her droppings normal, or normal for her? If you have questions about them, you can post pictures. No, we don't think it's weird or gross.

And,
:welcome
She is eating and drinking fine. Her poop also appears normal.

Back
Top Bottom