Possibly Respiratory Illness, am I on the right track?

bk32

Hatching
May 24, 2024
Hello, everyone!
On May 11th I introduced a chick born around March 10th into one of my brooder pens. I made a rookie mistake and didn’t quarantine her before placing her with my other chicks (and several turkey poults) that range in age from 4 weeks to 8 weeks. At the time, the chick I introduced appeared healthy. As the week went on, my perfectly healthy chicks began to sneeze/wheeze/gasp for air.
I do want to mention that the night prior to them sneezing/wheezing/gasping, their waterer leaked all over and I didn’t find out until the next morning. I don’t know if this is important, but I feel I should mention it. I also want to mention that NONE of the turkeys have gotten ill.
I went out and got VetRX and began treating the chicks that sounded the worst. The VetRX was helping, however it wasn’t making them 100% better.
On Monday I was able to get powder antibiotics for their water and began treatment.
Since then, I did lose two chicks - a 4 week old Silver Lakenvelder, the youngest in that pen and then the chick that was introduced to the flock. I also have one other one that’s still pretty raspy/congested (we are on day 4 of antibiotics) so I did give her a shot of LA-200.
I have 3 other pens within the same room the others were in. One of those 3 pens has ducks that have had no symptoms and the other 2 pens have chicks ranging from 2 weeks to 6 weeks and they’ve experienced some sneezing but no other symptoms - I am treating them though as a precaution.
Any idea what this could be? I read about CRD, however from what I’m reading wouldn’t the turkeys have gotten it, too?
Once they finish their antibiotics I am going to place them on some probiotics. None of the birds have stopped eating or drinking during this ordeal.
How long should I leave them in the inside brooder before I’m able to move them to the outside brooder? I do have adult hens and so I am concerned about them getting sick. Are there any steps I need to take to ensure they stay healthy?

Check for any mold in the bedding around where the watter spilled. Mold grows fast in humid places. Also, it can cause breathing problems. It's worth checking.

Check for any mold in the bedding around where the watter spilled. Mold grows fast in humid places. Also, it can cause breathing problems. It's worth checking.
I can say there was mold in the bedding the next morning, but I cleaned out the bedding as soon as I realized it was wet/moldy.
Do you think mold would have affected them all? And for this long? Even ones not in the same pen?

Mold could have affected them. Environmental issues can cause illness, dusty conditions, molds, ammonia, poor ventilation, over crowding...

Hard to say that a day old chick could spread respiratory disease to others, possible.

Are they improving with the Oxytretracycline?

If you lose any more, then refrigerate the body, send it to your state lab for testing so you know exactly what you are dealing with so you can give the correct treatment. https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html

Here's some reading about diseases:
https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/publication/PS044

Mold could have affected them. Environmental issues can cause illness, dusty conditions, molds, ammonia, poor ventilation, over crowding...

Hard to say that a day old chick could spread respiratory disease to others, possible.

Are they improving with the Oxytretracycline?

If you lose any more, then refrigerate the body, send it to your state lab for testing so you know exactly what you are dealing with so you can give the correct treatment. https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html

Here's some reading about diseases:
https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/publication/PS044

So the chick that came into the flock was about 8 weeks old. I may have worded that a bit funny in my initial post.
Most significantly improved. I thought I was going to lose my Polish and Ancona, but they are both doing great.
I still have a few that are sneezing, but no more wheezing or gasping for air.

So the chick that came into the flock was about 8 weeks old. I may have worded that a bit funny in my initial post.
Most significantly improved. I thought I was going to lose my Polish and Ancona, but they are both doing great.
I still have a few that are sneezing, but no more wheezing or gasping for air.
Oh, I see now! LOL

O.k., yes...possible the chick may have brought something in.

If the abx helped significantly, then you are likely dealing with a bacterial infection. Mycoplasma (CRD) would be my guess, but without testing, hard to know.

It is good that they are showing signs of improvement.

Oh, I see now! LOL

O.k., yes...possible the chick may have brought something in.

If the abx helped significantly, then you are likely dealing with a bacterial infection. Mycoplasma (CRD) would be my guess, but without testing, hard to know.

It is good that they are showing signs of improvement.
If it was CRD wouldn’t the turkeys also have been affected?
And if it was CRD, how will this affect my older birds once I introduce these ones into the flock? Am I going to possibly be dealing with this for years?

The best thing you can do is get a chicken necropsy through your state vet if you lose another. They do testing for respiratory diseases as well. Chickens can suffer from mycoplasma/MG/CRD, coryza, infectious bronchitis, aspergillosis from mold, and other diseases. Sorry for your loss.

If it was CRD wouldn’t the turkeys also have been affected?
And if it was CRD, how will this affect my older birds once I introduce these ones into the flock? Am I going to possibly be dealing with this for years?
No one can say what this is, get some testing to find out more.

IF it is MG, then yes, your flock would be carriers.

Back
Top Bottom