Possibly sick Duckling?

OneFowlMama

Chirping
Sep 24, 2019
Australia
Hi everyone, I have a little Indian Runner duckling who turned one week old today!

A few days ago (Christmas night) it sneezed and I thought (when holding extremely close to my ear) that I could hear a clicking sound.

The next day I took little one up to mums for a swim (Dhoop is an incredibly strong swimmer and loves going underwater!) and got her to listen, she heard no clicks and neither did I. Dhoop (little ones name) has been very active, eating and pooping a ton, and has been very vocal. I did notice Dhoop ‘sneezes’ after dunking their head in their water dish so I’m assuming they had just done that the other night before I heard it and got worried.

When Dhoop sleeps their breathing seems quite rapid (like two breaths every second or so), it seems to get slower when she/he is fast asleep. I read this could be simple overheating which has happened twice (hot legs,panting) and I removed him/her from the heat source for a while and Dhoop was fine again. Most times Dhoop isn’t hot though, I watched a couple videos of ducklings sleeping online and they all kinda seem to breathe pretty fast from what I can tell but it still makes me worried it isn’t normal?

Earlier today I thought I heard the click again, but just now I listened and can’t hear it, I’m starting to think it’s after drinking I hear it perhaps.mum said it’s probably Dhoop clicking their beak trying to eat my hair as I listen (also possible lol). Dhoop just ran around like a little nutter, had another big feed and drink and is snuggled up again.

Dhoop will also have long periods of time where she/he just snoozes or gets a drink/feed and lays back down, is this normal? She/he will eventually wake up full of beans and run around, play and talk for a while a few times a day too. She/he walks, runs and swims perfectly fine and strong, sometimes too strong the little bugger! Dhoops nares are clear and there’s no sign of mucous or anything untoward with his/her eyes as well.

Im feeding Dhoop duck starter crumbles with brewers yeast and change it/clean the container twice or three times daily as well as the water which is usually done 4 to 6 times. I add b3 and garlic infused acv to Dhoops water as well.

My family thinks I’m going nuts and maybe I am but I’ve read so many stories about ducklings passing suddenly from respiratory infections and I’m just so concerned. Am I just being crazy? Thanks in advance for any insight, depending how crazy I am I might end up taking Dhoop into the vet for a check up next week just to be sure, just been avoiding it due to the high cost (and sometimes incorrect diagnosis) of the avian vets where I live.
E5179327-701D-47D9-82A9-812BEB2E6A2E.jpeg

Bring your duckling to the vet. I wish I have that I have that option because the vets in my area are mammal centric.

Most of the ones here are too, which is how I’ve gotten incorrect diagnosis before because it’s very hit and miss at getting one with experience with birds. (The vets change clinics unexpectedly here and I’ve never had the same one twice)

Dhoops breathing has been a more normal looking pace and I listened for an hour by their side with no clicks. Perfect poops, happily grooming and very playful. I’m guessing Dhoops breathing becomes faster when excited or after long periods of activity (swimming, running, cuddles). Haven’t heard any sneezes today except after having their head fully under their water.

I’m gonna monitor Dhoop over the weekend (it’s Saturday night here) and call the vet Monday if I hear the clicking or Dhoop gets lethargic at all and see if I can book an appointment with one of the actual avian vets there. Every other time I’ve gone has been an emergency and was pot luck so fingers crossed. I’m pretty sure I’ve just been a bit nuts these last few days.

I’ve only ever cared for wild rescue ducklings before who all had issues so I’ve never seen ‘normal’ duckling behaviour first hand. Fingers crossed I’m just paranoid like everyone says I am on the farm, but if I keep being suspicious I’ll definitely take Dhoop in for a look over just to make sure.

so sweet!

Is it gonna be an indoor duck?

ive heard lots of people describe clicks and ive heard it myself and didnt have any issues, i assume you give her water 24/7 and the water is deep enough she can wash her eyes and nares out?

Yes I seen her and instantly fell in love! Her water is definitely deep enough for washing her nares and eyes, she does splash it out over time but I always top it up or just clean it when she does. Hopefully I’m just being crazy haha, I haven’t heard the clicks again so I’m hoping it’s nothing.

Okay so Dhoop just had a huge play, run, ate a bunch of food and drank a bunch of water, did some big healthy poops and had a good old cleaning session (as well as all the cuddles and conversations with mum). All snuggled back up in bed now with normal breathing and no clicks! I’m starting to feel a bit better and like I should trust my mum who raised domestic ducks when she was younger more.:lol:

Back
Top Bottom