Possibly sick hen, what does she have??

freerangefowl

Chirping
7 Years
Jan 27, 2017
North Ga
Help me out please, 2.5 year old black Cochin hen that is the leading lady of this all girl flock,never much of a layer tho. She's normally a fat sassy lady but has been uninterested in food (even the treats), lethargic, isolated, pale comb, crop full of water but no soild food (my mate grabbed a bag of loose scratch instead of their normal pellets), she has a lightley dirty bottom (not blocking just noticable on her black feathers). She's been acting off for two weeks but today free-rangeing she's just standing in one spot starting at nothing looking unhappy. What's wrong? Ideas? 25year chicken hobbiest.

Hey there freerangefowl Welcome to BYC! It is sad that the circumstances in which you join us are not good.

There are people far more experienced on what ails chickens than myself and hopefully they will also chime in, but I am leaning towards a crop issue also going on the crop full of water. However, take that symptom out and it could unfortunately be a range of things.

I do not think it sounds like impacted crop as the crop would be full and firm. However, it could be sour crop and this is a good article on both of those issues:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/impacted-slow-and-sour-crops-prevention-and-treatments

I would also rule out external and internal parasites; lice, mites and worms.

Last edited:

She's in isolation and indoors where it's warms (36deg outside, still slightly chilly for sick hen in the insolated hen house) guess I'll see if the fluid is still on her crop tomorrow an decide on inducing vomiting. Thank you for your help and article.

Back
Top Bottom