Sick young hen, help!

Kalamity

Songster
9 Years
Jul 22, 2014
My Coop
My Coop
We have a sick young hen.
She is a Buff Orpington, she is 1 years old.
Looking at her, she has a pale comb. Her feathers are perfect and she looks very healthy other than the comb.
Her eyes are bright and has zero discharge of any kind. Very clean and healthy looking face other than the comb.

Her backside is a bit dirty, but we found that happens more since we started doing a mash for them.
She has no appetite, lethargic and if you stand her up she is very unsteady on her feet.

She pooped on my daughter when we brought her inside and no sign of worms, but it's watery and does have some kind of pellety looking things in there.
All my ladies' egg production went down about 5-10 eggs a day. We have 32 laying girls. All the others look healthy and have a voracious appetite.
They drink ACV water, eat a fermented mash and herbs daily with Flax seed and black oil sunflower seed.

I have scoured through her symptoms and can't find anything that really matches!
Breathing seems perfectly normal, Crop not full. She does feel a bit warm.

We hand raised all the girls and don't want to lose one.
I don't have 'medicine' for her, but I got a bit of sugar water into her to try and give her a few calories/fluids. I hope that wasn't a bad thing to do.

We use a sand litter, dust free large flake shaving in the nesters.

My son said one of the girls was really 'droopy' a week ago, he added some scratch for them and more mash and the next day, he couldn't even tell which one was sick.
She only feels like a skeleton after you pick her up.

What else can I do?

I am so sorry about your hen! This really is not my forte but these people might be able to help. I dont want your thread to get over looked. Calm down and take a deep breath :hugs
@Debbie292d
@Eggcessive

We have a sick young hen.
She is a Buff Orpington, she is 1 years old.
Looking at her, she has a pale comb. Her feathers are perfect and she looks very healthy other than the comb.
Her eyes are bright and has zero discharge of any kind. Very clean and healthy looking face other than the comb.

Her backside is a bit dirty, but we found that happens more since we started doing a mash for them.
She has no appetite, lethargic and if you stand her up she is very unsteady on her feet.

She pooped on my daughter when we brought her inside and no sign of worms, but it's watery and does have some kind of pellety looking things in there.
All my ladies' egg production went down about 5-10 eggs a day. We have 32 laying girls. All the others look healthy and have a voracious appetite.
They drink ACV water, eat a fermented mash and herbs daily with Flax seed and black oil sunflower seed.

I have scoured through her symptoms and can't find anything that really matches!
Breathing seems perfectly normal, Crop not full. She does feel a bit warm.

We hand raised all the girls and don't want to lose one.
I don't have 'medicine' for her, but I got a bit of sugar water into her to try and give her a few calories/fluids. I hope that wasn't a bad thing to do.

We use a sand litter, dust free large flake shaving in the nesters.

My son said one of the girls was really 'droopy' a week ago, he added some scratch for them and more mash and the next day, he couldn't even tell which one was sick.
She only feels like a skeleton after you pick her up.

What else can I do?
You most likely have worms. Even though you can't visibly see them, the eggs can be seen under a microscope. You should get a float test from a vet and begin deworming the whole flock. Clean out all the droppings in the coop that you can get so it won't spread after deworming.

You most likely have worms. Even though you can't visibly see them, the eggs can be seen under a microscope. You should get a float test from a vet and begin deworming the whole flock. Clean out all the droppings in the coop that you can get so it won't spread after deworming.
What would be the safest dewormer for egg layers?
They get daily red pepper flakes, I wonder if I need to increase the amount they get?

It won’t hurt to worm her with Valbazen or SafeGuard liquid goat wormer. Can you offer some cooked rice with yogurt or buttermilk? Does your fermented food seem okay? It is possible that she is suffering from a reproductive disorder or even cancer. I would check her corp again early in the morning to see if the crop has emptied. Look her skin under the vent and elsewhere for lice or mites. Check her vent for an egg or any straining. Is her tail up or down?

That is a good sign. Red pepper flakes will not worm chickens. Believe me I was led to believe that once. Either of the wormers listed will work. SafeGuard might be easier to find. Dosage is 1/4 ml per pound, about 1.25 ml for a 5 pound hen is given orally for 5 days, and that will kill most chicken worms.

Back
Top Bottom