possibly stuck chick

EmilyOfIndiana

In the Brooder
6 Years
Feb 17, 2013
Centrail Indiana
So, 23 days ago I started 5 eggs under broody momma hen, Phyllis.

I smashed one by accident :(
1 still hasn't hatched and has no signs (ie pipping, chirping) so I'm gonna pull it tomorrow.
2 have hatched. Healthy bouncy babies :

And 1 who is taking its time. Which is why I'm here. It has been attempting to hatch for almost 24 hours now. It pipped successfully and then took a break for several hours (I know this is normal) but just recently I went out and checked and the membrane was drying out. So first I attempted to help him. I chipped a little but then saw blood so I stopped. I've now remoistened the membrane with warm water and set it back under mom. Now here I am, keeping my fingers crossed he will get out on his own.

I suppose if he isn't out by tomorrow I will reattempt to free him. :/ normally I wouldn't do this but this is the only chick I have that is half of his mommy. The others eggs werent viable.

Any advice would be appreciated? Am I doing the right things?

I'm just praying my momma hen won't get bored of him and wander off with her bouncy chicks as I don't have a working incubator :(

if you seen blood it wasnt ready just yet so, yes you did the right thing by putting it back and moistening it wont hurt. if the momma is still willing to set the last egg i would give it another day. what i do if i know the eggs were laid at different times is i pull the chicks and put them in a brooder and that makes them sit longer.( the mother). good luck.

Ended up helping him out this morning. No blood this time. But the chick was half bantam x standard and I believe his shell was too small for him so he couldn't spin properly to complete his zip. I found his this morning halfway in and halfway out with the dried out membrane wrapped around him. He was obviously in distress so good ole me jumped in and saved the day. After I removed more than half of the egg he just kicked out into my hand and I swear he sighed lol.

He is now with his siblings and mama happily tucked in to warm up.

Now however, he has some membrane stuck to him? What's the best way to remove that or will it come off on its own?

The questions I'm asking you wouldn't think this is like The fifth clutch I've hatched under this hen :)

good for you ! the membrane will have to be moist too. think i would wait a bit its cold where you are. im in madison. nice storm last night

Yeah. It was dead. Fully developed just didn't have it in it to get out. I lost it before it even broke into the air sac. Ah well. Can't win em all.

But the rest are well and giving momma a run for her money now :)

thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom