Possibly wrong forum -- waterer repair

nutz4critters

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 2, 2008
NW Alabama
If this is on the wrong forum, please forgive.
wink.png

I have several of the red & white 1 gallon waterers for chicks that have cracks in them. I have some that have a crack in the tray and others have a small hole or crack in the white "holder" portion.

Granted, they have had a long and useful life, but I wondered if anyone has had any luck repairing them? If so, what did you use? I thought about the fiberglass stuff used on cars, but I can't handle the smell of that stuff. Obviously, I'd have only used it on the outside where it would not have come into contact with the water.
cool.png

On another front, I have two of the hanging feeders (the metal round ones that hold about 5 to 10 pounds of feed) that have small holes in the bottom. Has anyone tried repairing them? I'd thought of pop-riveting sheet metal on the bottom to essentially making a new bottom, but didn't know if someone had a better idea.
fl.gif

If wishes were money, I'd just go buy all new ones, but that's not going to happen any time soon.

Thanks!
wee.gif

I'd think riveting patches on to the metal feeders would work fine since you don't have to have them waterproof.

As far as the pastic ones...there is some 'temporary' patch stuff you find in the plumber aisle that MIGHT work. There is some that is like putty that you could use to make a patch. Look for the kind that says it's safe for drinking water pipes - that should be safe for your birds too.

I'd think since the waterers aren't under as much pressure as water pipes, the temporary stuff might last you quite a while.

Good luck!

Hi,

Hadn't thought of the putty stuff. I have some and will try it. I just hated the thought of junking the things if there was a way to make them work for a while.

Thanks!
yippiechickie.gif

Back
Top Bottom