Possum bit hen, please help !!!

connor97

Chirping
7 Years
Nov 19, 2012
Huntington Beach, California
I was just woken up in the middle of the night to my chickens being attacked by a possum, I dont know what to do ! :'(
One of the hens has a big bite on her wing, I put some medical ointment my mom that my mom told me to put on it for wounds, what else can I do??? Will she survive?

Hopefully she will be okay, if the wound doesn't get infected. Just make sure you keep her safe at night. The possum will be back for more.

That doesn't look all that bad for a possum attack, they are clumsy stupid predators. My Mother In Law had a hen get attacked while she was roosting at night. Luckily the possum couldn't get a good hold on her and she only had some superficial gashes on her back/hip . She was cleaned up, sprayed with blue kote, and healed just fine. Just make sure you disinfect the area with iodine or blue kote so it doesn't get infected.

I'd use bettadine and antibiotic powder ...i did this for my hen when she got attacked by a bull terrier i could see the bone under her wing and now shes fine so it works goodluck[/B]

if the wound is open and raw, you'll want to separate her from the flock as they'll peck on anything red. otherwise spray it with blue cote, it's an antiseptic and will turn the area blue so the others aren't attracted to it.

Thansk everyone for your help, her wing is NOT broken ! :)
@nab, okay I will get some of that, thanks for the help everyone !
bow.gif

Back
Top Bottom