Possum died in chicken tractor

docdubz

Songster
5 Years
Nov 24, 2016
Central Texas
I have 17 chicks that need to be evicted from my workshop. I was going to grow them out in my chicken tractor which has sat unused for a while. Well, a possum got inside it, died, and decomposed on the plywood floor. Think I can sanitize the wood enough to make it safe for the chickens? At the current price replacing this floor would be $100 that I would really rathe not spend if I dont NEED to.

It is amazing the tight spaces any predator can squeeze into.
You can get cheaper plywood used on craigslist or as cull lumber at big box stores like Lowe's and Home Depot.

Just make sure after the repair that a tiny predator can't squeeze in.
Since the 'possum was dead in the thing for a long time, I wouldn't worry about disease.

It is amazing the tight spaces any predator can squeeze into.
You can get cheaper plywood used on craigslist or as cull lumber at big box stores like Lowe's and Home Depot.

Just make sure after the repair that a tiny predator can't squeeze in.
Since the 'possum was dead in the thing for a long time, I wouldn't worry about disease.
Oh it didnt squeeze into anything. I left it unlocked like a dope. The only thing I was actually worried about was disease because the wood is not rotted that bad, theres a black spot where the body was. I was thinking it should be ok to use if I pour a ton of vinegar on it and sand the spot away but wasnt sure if disease would still be a problem.

You'd be suprised how long diseases, bacteria, and viruses can lay dormant for the next host. I wouldn't chance it if it was me. It would be cheaper to cut a square where the carcass was and patch it, rather than replace the whole sheet of plywood. Or perhaps free. Surely somebody may have a small scrap piece to part with.

Got pics of this scenario?
I'd not be too worried about disease, any mammalian disease that might be there,
will not affect the birds.
Was the corpse completely desiccated or still 'juicy'?
I'd pour some bleach in there then let it completely dry for a week.
Juicy 🤣🤣🤣

Got pics of this scenario?
I'd not be too worried about disease, any mammalian disease that might be there,
will not affect the birds.
Was the corpse completely desiccated or still 'juicy'?
I'd pour some bleach in there then let it completely dry for a week.
I could get a picture later. It really doesnt look that bad though just an about 1 foot by 8 inch black circle. Im not sure how long it was in there, it might have only been a couple of weeks. And, yes it was very juicy.

Back
Top Bottom