Possum in the run this morning!

melodie_a

Songster
9 Years
Aug 28, 2010
Sanford, NC
My husband let the dogs out this morning and checked on my chickens and found a stupid possum in our big girls run! Thankfully our three ladies were up on their roost and the possum was on the ground by their little house that they never actually use.
roll.png

The possum had a very bad morning. I am so glad it was him instead of me that went out there to check on them because being ex-military and ex-law enforcement he is good with a gun. He has showed me how, but I have never actually had to shoot anything.

Last night was the first night that I didn't personally go out to do the evening chores for my chickies. I was so busy my 10 year old daughter said she would go out and do it. I almost didn't let her but she knows what to do and I thought it would be ok. We use a dog kennel as our run and there is a big gap around the door so we have a two pieces of metal roofing that we put against the two doors and use bungee cords so that all the gaps are covered. He said that the metal was against the door but the bottom was not flat, it was bowed out. I am so glad that this didn't cost any of our girls their lives.

You can guess who will be doing evening chores from now on!

she might have put the tin down. A possum can squeeze through some super tiny holes and a raccoon would just push the tin up and out of the way.

My girls' run is a dog kennel as well, but we keep a secure/locked coop inside. That way, I don't have to worry about something getting them at night.

Something was eating our chickens. So we bought a trap and caught a possum so my cousin let him go somewhere else. We have had baby possums. So I put the trap in front of their pen every night. I can imagine losing more chickens. My one Rooster Pretty Boy was dragged out of the barn no where to be found.

chest compression works well too if you are "in town " I have disposed of 4 or 5 this week it barely cools off and they start moving LOL

Quote:
I have heard several people say they leave a trap set... this may be a dumb question... but do you leave it baited? What do you put in it? I worry this would attract even more critters than we already have, but I guess they are out there anyway.

Quote:
I have heard several people say they leave a trap set... this may be a dumb question... but do you leave it baited? What do you put in it? I worry this would attract even more critters than we already have, but I guess they are out there anyway.

36435_possum.jpg

36435_slyfox.jpg

36435_maskedthief.jpg

36435_lookat.jpg

Quote:

the worse something smells the more likely a possum is to find it they are eating gamebird feed here they love grapes most cats and dogs will not find grapes molasses is another good bait for not catching domestic animals

Quote:
Raccoons were my biggest fear because I know they are able to manipulate things. I don't really think they could pull the metal away when it is in the proper position because the bungee cords are very tight. I can even budge the metal at the bottom because it sinks down into a groove. The problem is that my daughter is short and the piece of metal is probably about 5'9 or so. So it is perfectly understandable that when she put it down the bottom was popped out. It is my fault because I know that she is too small to handle it easily, I don't blame her at all.. but we will be having the discussion about "attention to detail", double checking behind herself and asking for help if she needs it.

I am going to get to work with some reinforcing now that we FINALLY have a Lowe's again! Our Lowe's and our Tractor Supply were completely demolished in the April 16th tornado that tore through our town. The only building supply in town is Lowe's so it has made repairs/upgrades to anything impossible since then. They opened the doors yesterday, so great timing for us.. we will be making a trip this weekend! I wish I had the money to build from scratch with all hardware cloth because the doors would not have any gap at all, but we just are not financially able right now.

Melodie

Quote:

the worse something smells the more likely a possum is to find it they are eating gamebird feed here they love grapes most cats and dogs will not find grapes molasses is another good bait for not catching domestic animals

My dogs would disassemble the trap for a lick of molasses! LOL! My white Shepherd thinks that molasses is a gift from the gods!

Quote:

My dogs would disassemble the trap for a lick of molasses! LOL! My white Shepherd thinks that molasses is a gift from the gods!

must be due to the species I use them in town constantly It just don,t catch domestics I use the grandmas brand that food lion sells it really catches grey fox and racoons well

Back
Top Bottom