Possum injuries, treated, but any additional advice appreciated!

kla37

Songster
9 Years
Apr 18, 2010
Hillsborough, NC USA
A possum got in my coop two nights ago and got one of my girls. She is an 18 month old partridge cochin. She seems OK, but I found some wounds on her. A friend held her in a towel and helped me clean them out. We used sterile saline to soak the feathers off, and I plucked the feathers that were still there (not many) right next to the gashes. Then I cleaned it again with vetericyn, patted it dry, and left it exposed to finish drying while we held her. Then I used AluShield aerosol bandage spray, it's silver, to cover it. There was a lot of bruising, so I'm sure she's sore. She was walking OK, but wasn't nearly as quick as she usually is. Both wings are fine. Looks like the possum grabbed her by the back. with wounds on both sides. I also got some poultry antibiotics for her water, and she's staying in a big dog crate in my room for at least a week. She was really calm the whole time, which surprised me! Anyway, that's what my feed store guy suggested, he has chickens and has had to treat injuries pretty frequently. Does all that sound OK? Is there anything else I should do that you can think of? She is eating, and drinking. I gave her a scrambled egg. Poor baby! So glad I shot that darn possum.

On right side
54722_chicken_wounds_001.jpg

On left side
54722_chicken_wounds_003.jpg

One side covered with the Alushield Aerosol Bandage
54722_chicken_wounds_002.jpg

Resting when it's over
54722_chicken_wounds_004.jpg

I might consider giving her some antibiotics. Possums are disgustingly full of foul bacteria from all the rotting things they eat. If you don't want to give them right off, I would get some injectable antibiotics to have on hand anyway, just in case, along with the syringes and needles. And at the first sign of infection, get her started.

I think you are on the right track as long as you flushed and cleaned those wounds really well. I'm not familiar with the AluShield so can't comment on that. She's probably a bit shocky so that's why she's quiet. Just keep her warm and quiet for a while and see how she does. Chickens are amazingly good at healing up, just watch the wounds for redness and/or oozing. You may want to dose her orally with a syringe with the antibiotic to make sure she gets enough if she doesn't drink enough of her water. Though I agree with mama24 that an injectable antibiotic would be best for this.

Thanks! I will pick up an injectable antibiotic tomorrow. Should I get it from a vet? Is the penicillin from the farm supply store OK? Can anyone refer me to a thread about how to give a chicken a shot? I can do them to people, but it must be different with a chicken.
tongue.png
Oh, I should have added that those pictures were BEFORE I throughly cleaned the wounds out. It looked better after that, but I couldn't use the camera at that point. The wounds didn't smell, but I want to be as through as I can.

Last edited:
I somehow totally missed that you said you had abx in her water. Since you started that right away, she should be ok. I was saying shot b/c it works faster. But if shes still improving with no sign of infection tomorrow, you are probably in theclear. :)

Not sure from the pictures but puncture wounds from bites or claws should be allowed to drain. The drainage will help remove bacteria. If its only tears then I think the bandage would be ok. I think the spray bandage in an of itself is a good idea but the fact that its colored is something I dont like. It hides redness which could be a sign of infection and you cant really see the healing process. It will keep the dirt and stuff out of it though.

Back
Top Bottom