Possums in coop three times!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by mommacb, Nov 2, 2012.

1. mommacb

mommacb Out Of The Brooder

we keep going out at night to lock up our ladies and finding "young" possums hiding in the corner. do they hurt chickens? do they eat eggs?

2. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Yes they will eat eggs. And chickens too when they are older. Not to mention despoiling your feed.

3. bumpercarr

bumpercarr Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2012
    Tularosa, New Mexico
    I don't know about "young" possums, but the answer for possums in general is yes and yes. They will kill your chickens and eat the eggs.

4. nova022

nova022 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2012
    Yes to both questions. They also carry 20 plus diseases, so you probably do not want them hanging around.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2012
  5. mommacb

mommacb Out Of The Brooder

anyone know their method of killing? are they likely to go after them all or just fight with one?

6. littleoak

littleoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2010
    Ashmore IL 61912
    A possom will kill one or two anytime it's hungry. They eat the intestines of the chicken. I don't know if the chicken is killed before this eating starts or not since I've never caught one in the act. No matter, possoms are predators and carry desease and will do you no good at all. Do not allow them to remain.

7. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    The layers I've had kill by possum went in through the rear end. The chicken look untouched other than it rear end eaten out. No blood anywhere. My dog just has a nose for a possum and find one about every 4 days on average. Early in the morning up a tree, in the day time in a hollow log, he finds um and I shoot um. Sometime I just let him do his thing and he kills it, but in a tree I shoot it our. I've killed quite a few this summer. The possum is the only predator I've had any problem with. The dog seems to keep everything else away.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2012
  8. chickortreat

chickortreat Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    I killed a possum last night. I shine the spotlight periodically through the night. Armadillo, possum, skunk, coon, fox coyote, you name it, I've seen/shot it. Constant vigil, but it keeps me sharp.

9. bigoledude

bigoledude Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2011
    SE, Louisiana
    Possums are by far the most frequent killer we have. They were reaching through chain-link fencing and pulling the heads through, and eating most of the head off. Because we had some dogs and cats we didn't want injured, we put out these traps;

http://www.rpoutdoors.com/dudpcotr.html

We have caught many coons and possums with these traps. We did install 1/2 inch hardware cloth along the fencing and, it worked. I keep the DP traps baited and continue to catch possums. The coons seem to have caught on and stay several hundred yards away and rarely ever approach my yard area. Possums are kinda like me. They are almost as stupid as they look!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by