Possums/opossums whatever they are called.....

p2chick

In the Brooder
11 Years
Aug 16, 2008
My chicks are now 3 weeks old and will soon be making the outdoor tractor their home. I live in an urban area and really wasn't incredibly concerned with predators that much except for a few cats that troll the area. BUT tonight i heard from a neighbor that they've recently spotted a family of Possums in and out of their backyard. I have yet to see these guys but now am worried if they are the type of animal that will harm my girls.

Should I now safeguard the coop from possums getting into the coop? And are they diggers? Should I protect the coop with underground wiring?

we have a family of oppossums that live in our yard, and because of that, you need to completely safeguard your coop and run. Dig a trench 12 inches deep around both your coop and your run, and bury your 1/4 inch hardware cloth. Refill with dirt, stamp it down, and you should be good to go. Also, we used U shaped nails to attach our hardware cloth to the coop/run. Apparently they don't pull out as easily as staples do, so that will prevent the little buggers from pulling the cloth off.

Make sure you get the cloth as secure as you can around weird corners, and angles, so nothing small and skinny can squeeze thru the gaps and get inside. Baby oppossums are very small and can squeeze thru surprisingly small spaces, so over kill on the nails is good.

Hope this helps! Good luck!
~Caran

Quote:
Stop spamming.

The BackyardChickens Forum is a place for members to discuss poultry, share their experiences, get help with raising chickens, and meet new friends.

We've got a huge community, so in order to maintain our board we must enforce certain standards and rules. Underlying these rules is the fact that Backyard Chickens in a family oriented board where people of different backgrounds and ideas can all feel comfortable.

Do's
* Be friendly and courteous to all members at all times.
* Respect the BYC Staff. They dedicate LOTS of volunteer time keeping the forum running smoothly.
* Be nice to newcomers and help them feel welcome . We all remember how it was to be new parents to our feathered babies.
* Respect that people may have a different political, religious, philosophical and cultural background than you.
* Be very descriptive in the subjects of your new topics and try to stay on topic as you post. Example: do not say "I NEED HELP" say "My 3 week old hen can't walk"
* Link back to BackyardChickens.com from your site and/or blog, especially if you put a link to another site in your forum signature (see rules on poultry sites below)
* Read the very important thread "REQUIRED & SUGGESTED READING FOR THE BYC FORUM"
* Have fun and learn!

Dont's
This is a list of things you should not do on our board. BYC Staff will lock or remove topics if there are posts that are contrary to the good of the community. The BYC staff have over 50 years of combined experience with this community and these rules are based on this experience. The staff love the community, but if a member continues to disregard our guidelines they will be banned from accessing the Backyard Chickens forum.

1. Remember this is a family board no swearing / foul language and no inappropriate "Adult" topics.
2. No PETA or Cock fighting posts, period!
3. No Flaming (verbally attacking people or groups of people - e.g. a profession, an organization, a company.)
4. No Trolling (posting to provoke others, luring them to flame or rant). Trolling is sometimes done involuntary, so please be considerate when posting.
5. No teasing, mocking, ridiculing, or otherwise making fun at other member's expense.
6. No Spam. Spamming is posting the same thing several times. "Bumping" (posting to move a thread up on the forum list) and cross-posting (posting the same thread in several forums) are examples of spam.
7. No Fighting. Taking a personal conflict to the forum is unacceptable. "I'm right, you're wrong" threads and posts will be edited or deleted.
8. Do not post your phone number or your age (especially if you are a minor) or any other personal info you don't want the whole world to see.
9. Do not promote other poultry websites that could be considered in competition to BYC. Sometimes it may be appropriate to link to another site that has specific information relative to a question, but moderators have to right to remove links and posts at their discretion.
10. Luring member to other forums is not allowed and we prohibit discussing drama that happens on other forums. We've worked hard for 10 years to build up this community and we will not tolerate people coming in and spamming our members via the public forum, private messages, or emails to join another community.
11. No advertising or marketing of your products or services outside of the BYC Buy, Sell, Trade section. Even posts in these areas should be in moderation.

Moderation
BYC staff spend a TON of time and energy to keep the forum running smoothly. How BYC staff moderate is never a topic for open discussion on the forum. If you have any questions or feedback on moderation it should be addressed to the Administrator or the specific moderator via email or private message.
* Do not post threads questioning moderation.
* If a topic is closed or removed do not, under any circumstances, re-post the same topic or material. If you have any questions as to why a thread was closed or removed please contact a BYC staff member.

General Items:
* You'll automatically be registered for the BYC newsletter (see sample here). We don't send these out very often, but when we do they contain important information that relates to the community. If you want to be removed from the newsletter simply follow the very easy unsubscribe instructions on the first one you receive.
* Private messages via our forum can not be accessed by other members or the moderators. The administrator may review private messages if problems arise (for example, if members are reported as spamming via PM's)
* It is at our sole discretion to pre-screen, refuse or remove any users or content from the site.
* Posting on BYC makes the comment, images, ideas "public domain". If you decide to leave the forum BYC will not be required to remove your posts.
* The opinions expressed on the forum are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the positions of the BYC website and/or its staff.

If you agree to the rules above, please continue with your registration. Welcome to BYC and please enjoy your time here!​

Possums are opportunists, but they aren't particularly aggressive about it - no where near what raccoons, weasels, etc. are.

They're pretty easy to tame, and they make good pets, believe it or not.

Back
Top Bottom