possums

OMG my dad found a HUGE one chasing our chickens to the end of the fence!!! we have a 1x1 so only its hand fit through...... my dad threw a rock at it and smashed it
tongue2.gif
but it didnt die...... are they that tuff?

One got into our coop last night through a tiny flat hole it dug. The chickens woke us with their squawking(it sounded like she was yelling HELP). Feathers everywhere and one of the girls has a pretty decent gash on her shoulder. I put antibiotic cream on it, she's eating, drinking and acting normally so we'll hope for the best. She's my favorite too, boo.

Just took the dog out for a walk before bed. She started going nuts digging and scratching under a stack of tile we have stored in our lean to shed. The six week old chicks are also in a cage under the lean to. So I prodded front the other side of the stack, thinking we were hunting a rat, when out she pulled a half grown possum! She chomped it good. Went to dig the hole, and guess what?! We got possumed! It was gone when we came back. Arrg! I feel kinda bad, cause it is probably gonna die, or at least suffer. I'm sure she hurt it pretty good, as she really chomped it. My dog is a Wire Fox Terrier, BTW, and she loves being a ratter.

Got 1 of my 6 week old chicks killed 2 days ago. Tonight, I heard my Dog ran after something, I went out with a really good aluminum stick on my hand. My dog was sniffing and I looked around. Flipped a board lean to the fence in the corner and he was there. Of course, the aluminum stick was useful. 1 less possum around my area.

Last edited:
Yes, Opossums are a problem you must control.
They do eat chickens and feed.
As you can tell, they pose different problems to different people.
Try not to leave a lot of feed on the ground in the pen, definitely no spilled feed in the coop.
Around here, possums are scavengers, so if they don't have trash cans, spilled feed, etc. they move on.
Also, Spring, when the young are weaned, is problematic.
Good Luck.

This morning as I was leaving, a possum went up a tree by my driveway. I went outside to check the coop and be sure there were no holes so it couldn't get in tonight. There is on spot up near where the roof and top 2x4 meet that has an opening about 3 inches x 12 inches. Is that big enough to get in?

This morning as I was leaving, a possum went up a tree by my driveway. I went outside to check the coop and be sure there were no holes so it couldn't get in tonight. There is on spot up near where the roof and top 2x4 meet that has an opening about 3 inches x 12 inches. Is that big enough to get in?
Nevermind....just boarded it up to be safe.

'nother possum pic:

For just a brief moment, I thought of bringing a pup up to the house and Missus and telling her: "Look I brought you a kitten". (I don't think she would have bought it)

Just took the dog out for a walk before bed. She started going nuts digging and scratching under a stack of tile we have stored in our lean to shed. The six week old chicks are also in a cage under the lean to. So I prodded front the other side of the stack, thinking we were hunting a rat, when out she pulled a half grown possum! She chomped it good. Went to dig the hole, and guess what?! We got possumed! It was gone when we came back. Arrg! I feel kinda bad, cause it is probably gonna die, or at least suffer. I'm sure she hurt it pretty good, as she really chomped it. My dog is a Wire Fox Terrier, BTW, and she loves being a ratter.

UPDATE: DH on his way out to feed the cats says, "you really want that possum gone?" Of course I answered yes, and he went for a gun. It was sitting on the railing of our back deck. Then DH looked into its adorable eyes, NOT, and said, "I think,I'll catch it instead." So he retrieved a garbage can, and I got a broom. I whacked it a good one, grabbed it by the tail, and flung it in the can, SCORE! Then I used the oven mitts to grab it up and put it in a pet carrier. Possum is waiting in the bed of the truck for a ride down the road in the morning. I hope he doesn't come back! :D

Back
Top Bottom