1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Possums?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by my5hens, Dec 21, 2012.

1. my5hens

my5hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    Do they eat hens? I saw a big fat one in my front yard last night. I chased it off and he didn't bother my girls last night. I know they will definitely eat the eggs but what about the hens?

2. draye

draye Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas
    Yes, they will eat:

Big, little, short, or tall. Male or female. Red, yellow, black and white. They will eat anything atall.

3. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Yes they will eat a chicken, but I have never seen them as any kind of major threat.
    I've had them in the yard for years along with the chickens. They have never stalked, attacked, pounced or anything like that. They do go after the feed if they can get into the coop.
    Make sure your coop & run are predator safe.

Imp

4. spotsplus

spotsplus Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2008
    Franklin, MA
    We had possums living under our shed beside the coop for years. Suddenly this possum (or one of many) killed four of my hens and three quail over a couple months time.. Now we block off access to that shed and haven't had a problems since.

5. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    I have never had a possum or coon attack,but it did not stop me from catching over 40 of them.Why wait till they kill? I say set a trap near the coop.Anyone who gets caught creeping by the coop deserves to be *relocated*.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by