Post egg bound chicken not doing well

I had changed mine to the Grower Finisher feed trying to find a commercial feed that didn't have really high calcium, protein, and fat as most my hens were 2 and older and a few displaying reproductive problems (lost 2 golden comets last summer within 2 months of each other). I took the advice of a Chicken Rescue Group to do this and until now my Orpington hen is the only one that has shown any problems. I was afraid to do this as the Vet said they are bred to produce and the condition of the egg can depend on the feed they get. But then again I was trying to slow the older hens down from laying so much so they wouldn't have these reproductive problems. It's a fine line and the poor hens have to pay for it. I still give mine oyster shell, yogurt, occasional crushed hard boiled egg, and greens (lettuce,etc.). This hen has been the smaller, meeker of the flock, I could almost see it coming, she is almost 2 and a half years old. I'll look for this link that tells how you can make your own Calciboost, you can buy the Calcium Gluconate at the feed store (Southern States, Tractor Supply, etc.). I'm not saying this is the cure or a long term additive, but it's supposed to be a fix for an egg bound hen and it has sure saved my hen so far. She can at least walk again, she has not perched in a long time and still can't fly up in her coop (hens won't walk up the ramp because they are stubborn, started flying up into their coop) but her eggs are coming out, maybe not quite like they should yet.

Sorry to hear about your hen have you tried cod liver oil give it in a 5ml syringe and see if that helps .
My hen was of colour we gave her some and within a few minutes whatever made her ill it was
blasted out of her.makesure you are outside and the vent is pointed
away from you it makes a big mess lol

I only wormed twice a year when I was using Ivomec. The VermX is all natural and was only recently approved for use in the U.S. It has been used in the U.K for a long time successfully. It is, however, a monthly thing. I was impressed that it is safe to eat the eggs all the time. With Ivomec I had to waste eggs for about a month or two twice a year. I have noticed that egg production goes up after worming no matter what product I use. I have used the ACV with the mother in it before. I had read that it helps keep chickens calm. Thanks for the info on calcium intake. I'm still not sure that my older chickens who only lay a few eggs a year if any would benefit from Caciboost, but it would be worth trying on my 1 yr. old Serama hen who was egg bound. I would think the magnesium would be good for her at this point. Tonight she had made it into the coop when I checked after prayer meeting, but she wasn't up on the roost. I am going to let her stay in the coop tonight and check on her very, very early in the morning. If she's not better, I'll give her some vitamins, fever/pain reducer, and electrolytes again. I pray she will recover fully. Thanks for all your input!

Smallflock 3, I just read your post and I want to thank you for all the good information. Now I feel better about my hen not roosting yet! I'm looking forward to making my own Calciboost!

Back
Top Bottom